Windows boot manager - Error: 0xc000000f
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows boot manager - Error: 0xc000000f

Windows boot manager - Error: 0xc000000f

Hi. Recently (less than a week) purchased (private sale) a used Acer Aspire 7551 running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

It had been restored to factory or clean install and was running ok although system needed LOADS of Windows updates.

Was in the process of installing these (last i remember correctly was SP1) when last night mid-update the system froze so my husband powered the laptop down using the power button and when tried to restart the boot manager black screen appeared and system wont run
    File: \Boot\BCD

The laptop came with 'recovery discs' which helpfully do nothing

Can anything be done to help me please? The laptop was purchased for my young sons 6th birthday in a few days and i am now panicking!

Thanks

The laptop came with 'recovery discs' which helpfully do nothing
    So you tried booting from the recovery discs and they don't work? Did you try recovering from the Recovery partition?
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5525953_reco...er-aspire.html

Next time, download the service pack first. I never do service pack installs over the web.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=5842

Try this:

1. Boot the computer from a Windows 7 installation DVD, select Repair and open a command prompt.

2. Type diskpart and press [Enter]. (You should now be at a "DISKPART>" prompt).

3. Type select disk 0 (that's a zero, not an uppercase 'oh') and press [Enter].

4. Type list partition and press [Enter]. Note the number of the partition where Windows 7 is installed.

5. Type select partition N and press [Enter], (where N is the partition number where Windows is installed).

6. Type active and press [Enter].

7. Type exit and press [Enter]. (To exit DISKPART).

8. Type bcdboot c:\windows and press [Enter]. (If C: is the drive letter containing Windows).

9. Remove the Windows 7 installation DVD, cross your fingers and then try booting the computer from the hard drive.

Thanks for your replies.

Midknyte: Tried to boot from recovery partition but laptop doesnt seem to have one (previous owner upgraded HardDrive to larger capacity)

Midknyte: Created a system repair disc but this made no difference at all - the laptop goes straight to windows boot manager with same error code. Do i need to tell the laptop to boot from disc or would this automatically happen?

SpywareDr: I dont have a Windows 7 installation DVD to be able to follow your instructions.

Any other suggestions?
    It's nice to be nice

Tried to boot from recovery partition but laptop doesnt seem to have one (previous owner upgraded HardDrive to larger capacity)
    Hmm. That's weird. The restore discs are supposed to create the recovery partition.

Do i need to tell the laptop to boot from disc or would this automatically happen?
    Depends on how the bios boot order is set. Sounds like it is skipping the optical drive. Try pressing DEL, ESC or F2 when you power on the system. There might also be a boot order option like F12.

Could you please verify the full model number? I see 7551-7422 and 7551G when I do a Google search.

Ok, i changed the boot order in setup so boots from CD drive first and was able to run the recovery disc.
    It goes through the 'windows is loading files' then 'starting windows' screen comes on and gets my hopes up.

It then takes me to Acer eRecovery management where i choose my language and get 2 restore options:
    > Completely restore to factory defaults
    > Restore OS and retain user data

If i attempt to retain data is advises that no user data found and use complete restore to factory defaults (i am starting to get a bad feeling about this)

When attempting to completely restore to factory defaults it advises that all will be erased etc and when i click next it takes me to a screen which i assume should state the restore destination details... but the info fields are all empty as per image. It then brings up an error window which reads 'FAIL create partition table for disk 0'. (Gutted)

It then returns to the 'Windows is loading files' routine....

I also have an APPDRV restore disc and have tried to boot from that but gets the same unbootable error code
    Last edited by mrs.dobbo; February 5th, 2014 at 02:45 PM. Reason: additional info
    It's nice to be nice

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    Could you please verify the full model number? I see 7551-7422 and 7551G when I do a Google search.
    Model Acer Aspire 7551 model no. MS2310 (from bottom of laptop)
    It's nice to be nice

It's nice to be nice

There might be a problem with the drive itself. You should run hard drive diags first.

You should be able to tell which brand of drive you have from the bios. Then run the matching manufacturer's diags.

UBCD5 (link in my signature) has most of the diags you'd need. You need to burn the .iso as an image first, then boot from the CD. If you don't know how to properly burn .isos, go to the following links:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14183...age-to-a-disc/
    http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm

Quote Originally Posted by mrs.dobbo View Post

SpywareDr: I dont have a Windows 7 installation DVD to be able to follow your instructions.
    Download the ISO file for the version of Windows 7 you own:

The above links point to Digital River, a licensed distributor of Microsoft software. These downloads are each over 3GB, and your current Product Key will only work with your edition of Windows, so make sure to select the right one.

Download the Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool. This utility helps you burn your Windows 7 ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive. Whether you choose DVD or USB makes no difference; just confirm that your PC can boot to the media type you select.

There might be a problem with the drive itself. You should run hard drive diags first.

You should be able to tell which brand of drive you have from the bios. Then run the matching manufacturer's diags.

UBCD5 (link in my signature) has most of the diags you'd need. You need to burn the .iso as an image first, then boot from the CD. If you don't know how to properly burn .isos, go to the following links:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14183...age-to-a-disc/
    http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm
    Having looked at the UBCD5 site from your link i was absolutely baffled by what diagnostics i would need! Sorry if i am being a bit dim but could you direct me to what i will need please?

The bios states that the drive is a Toshiba MK5065GSX-(S1)

Thanks
    It's nice to be nice

You just need to download the .iso image then burn it to a CD. Boot from the UBCD5 disc and go to Hard drive diagnostics.

Toshiba doesn't really have their own diags from what I remember, so you can try Seagate Seatools. If you get any temperature sensor errors, just ignore them since it's not a Seagate drive.

If you still can't figure out UBCD, then you can try getting Seatools directly.
    http://www.seagate.com/support/inter...ls-dos-master/

You just need to download the .iso image then burn it to a CD. Boot from the UBCD5 disc and go to Hard drive diagnostics.
    Hi Midknyte
    Ok, have run the SeaTools short basic test and nothing came up that alarmed me, (device 0 is ATA....., device is 48 bit addressed..., SMART supported and enabled, SMART not been tripped, DST is supported, logging feature set is supported, POH 4375)

am now running the long test - but i have absolutely no idea what i am on the look out for. So is there something i should be looking for? Reporting back to you? Thanks

Oh hang on.... 4% into long test and 2 errors found
    Last edited by mrs.dobbo; February 6th, 2014 at 11:01 AM. Reason: New info
    It's nice to be nice

So, it looks like bad sectors Well Seagate said harddrive has failed an important diagnostic test possibly caused by problem sectors which are difficult to read. Their automatic repair was unsuccessful.

Anything i can do to fix? Is there anything on this UBCD?
    It's nice to be nice

Thread Information