Comodo Priv Dog problem

Thread: Comodo Priv Dog problem

Comodo Priv Dog problem

Hi, all. I just went through a crash on my Dell XPS 420 PC with Windows Vista so a techie came and reformatted, installing Windows 7 professional.

So, when he was done..I downloaded and installed my usual programs, including the Comodo firewall, I didn't like all the extra programs Comodo installed and how bloated the new version had become, so I uninstalled it using CCleaner. That said, even though I unchecked it during the install, a Priv Dog alert to install keeps popping up in my toolbar every half hour, and I have to click and check no over and over. Is there anyway to make this stop/remove this alert? Apparently the Comodo install did what it wanted to do despite my unchecking the Priv Dog option and there are obviously still remnants of Comodo left on my computer even though I uninstalled it.

Any help would be so appreciated

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Did you check in msconfig startup to see if that option is checked. If not do so. Go to Run<msconfig>startup. Uncheck any reference to Comodo. Restart the computer. That should stop the priv dog from running at start up.

Quote Originally Posted by photolady View Post
    Did you check in msconfig startup to see if that option is checked. If not do so. Go to Run<msconfig>startup. Uncheck any reference to Comodo. Restart the computer. That should stop the priv dog from running at start up.
    Thank you so much, photolady, it worked like a charm! That said, could you recommend a nice, tight firewall that only installs the firewall, unless the Windows firewall is good enough on its own?
    I have two laptops:

#1 2016 HP 15.6" Premium High Performance Laptop PC, AMD Quad-Core A6-5200 Processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVD+/-RW, Webcam, WIFI, HDMI, UbuntuMate 18.04

#2 2019 HP Premium 15.6" HD Laptop, AMD A6 Dual-Core 2.6 GHz, 4GB|8GB|16GB RAM, 1TB|2TB HDD, 128GB|256GB|512GB|1TB SSD, WiFi Bluetooth HD Webcam 3-in-1 SD Reader HDMI, Windows 10,

You're welcome for the other help. I always check msconfig startup to make sure nothing is running that shouldn't be.
    Windows firewall is good enough on its own?
    When I had Vista that's all I used because it works just as good as a standalone program, and doesn't cause any problems. As far as I could tell. it is adjustable also.

You're welcome for the other help. I always check msconfig startup to make sure nothing is running that shouldn't be.
    When I had Vista that's all I used because it works just as good as a standalone program, and doesn't cause any problems. As far as I could tell. it is adjustable also.
    I'm Windows 7 pro now, do I need something stronger? Also, any Windows firewall adjustment recommendations that will make it better?
    I have two laptops:

#1 2016 HP 15.6" Premium High Performance Laptop PC, AMD Quad-Core A6-5200 Processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVD+/-RW, Webcam, WIFI, HDMI, UbuntuMate 18.04

#2 2019 HP Premium 15.6" HD Laptop, AMD A6 Dual-Core 2.6 GHz, 4GB|8GB|16GB RAM, 1TB|2TB HDD, 128GB|256GB|512GB|1TB SSD, WiFi Bluetooth HD Webcam 3-in-1 SD Reader HDMI, Windows 10,

I'm sorry, I thought you said Vista for some reason. But yes, the one in Windows 7 pro is better. That's all I use on my computer and I've had no problems with it. In fact, I've never had it tell me it blocked anything but I keep my computer/s running smoothly with no problems with hackers, or nasties.

I'm sorry, I thought you said Vista for some reason. But yes, the one in Windows 7 pro is better. That's all I use on my computer and I've had no problems with it. In fact, I've never had it tell me it blocked anything but I keep my computer/s running smoothly with no problems with hackers, or nasties.
    Good to know, photolady. I guess as long it's enabled, I'm okay, especially since I'd prefer not to add anymore programs. Thank you so, so much for your help!
    I have two laptops:

Thank you so, so much for your help!
    You are quite welcome!

Thread Information