Backup, copy or mirror before recovery in Windows 8?

Thread: Backup, copy or mirror before recovery in Windows 8?

Backup, copy or mirror before recovery in Windows 8?

First of all, I don't like the Geek Squad. Now, I purchased an HP Envy with Windows 8 in June of 2013. Since then I have had to do a system restore every two or three weeks. I've had to do a REFRESH twice (last I October '13) Since the last refresh it's been working fine until today. I couldn't do anything with it although I have the recovery media. In the past I was able through trial and error to get into System Restore or Refresh by using F11. Today I had no such luck. I finally took it back to Best Buy where they wanted to charge me $254 to purchase a plan and then "recover" my data. I brought the system home and plugged it up and it's working fine. In fact I'm using it now.

I suspect that something is corrupt in the Windows 8.1 environment. I want to save my data and recover the system. However, I am tired of having to download and install all the Apps, MS Office, the camera software and setting up all the email accounts yet again. The backup only does a partial job since it doesn't save the apps or email user data.

Is it possible to "Copy" all the files and folders except Windows 8, do a full recovery and then copy everything back again? I have a 1TB external hard drive. A full backup only used 181.92GB. According to "This PC" in Control Panel, C: has 1.15TB free of 1.34TB. The recovery Image in D: has 2.29GB free of 18.7GB.

Can I do it? What do I need to consider?

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Is it possible to "Copy" all the files and folders except Windows 8, do a full recovery and then copy everything back again?
    Nope...but you could clone it...

In fact, after doing a fresh install - all the updates - all of your apps is a great time to make a clone.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

But wouldn't cloning also copy the corrupted (if there are any) Windows 8 system files?

In fact, after doing a fresh install - all the updates - all of your apps is a great time to make a clone.
    Why we that. And if you save your data, it can always be put back.

Train,

Sorry I didn't understand (why we that.) What is the best way to "clone". I've read all kinds of forums and some seem to be suggesting the it can be done by using the Windows 7 legacy backup available in Windows 8.

What is the best way to "clone".
    I still prefer Acronis True Image. However, it's not free and you'd need version 2014 to support Win8.

I don't use Macrium myself, but they have a free version that says it supports Win8.
    http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

I have the free version of Macrium and it's kind of limited to a complete backup (minus email, apps and installed software). You have to upgrade to be able to select specific files/folders. I think I'll give Acronis a try this weekend when I have the time to be patient. Thanks for the help.

Resolved Backup/recovery in Windows 8

All is well. I backed up using the "File History" Problem was that when I went to recover, after reinstalling Windows 8, the system did not recognize that I had used "File History" before. Therefore, I had to 'copy" everything to the correct location. I used the " Windows live mail export/import function to backup and restore the emails and contact. This system needs some work also. It did not import them back to the folders I had set up. Instead, it created an "import" storage folder.

My printer software came back on it's own as did Microsoft Office (I only had to enter a product key) I had to reload my camera software and apps. Not as bad as I though but there still has to be a faster way. Everything including a virus scan, disk cleanup, backup, export, reinstall and reloading of software took about 36 hrs. I did sleep for 8 hrs and took care of frozen water pipes, but most of that time something was loading or unloading.

Just a note for anyone else having issues: The wireless keyboards don't seem to work when you are trying to get into Diagnostics (F2), Recovery (ESC) or any of the other keys you need to tap while the restart/reboot is going on. Thankfully I kept a USB keyboard around for maintenance purposes. Thank you all for your help and advice. It always helps to have options.

Soccio,

Which HP Envy box did you buy?

I bought an HP Envy 700-149 Desktop 11 days ago, and I have nothing good to say about it, although the HP support staff were quite helpful.

The final decision came when one HP support staff recommended me to return the crap box to the store for an exchange if a refund is not possible.

I cannot imagine why you want to use a wireless keyboard at all... "batteries are not cheap" was a comment which came to a friendly store in here when I asked for a recommendate for a wireless keyboard.

I've got the 9340. I have no problems with HP. All my problems have been with Windows. I have my PC connected through my 60" TV. With the wireless keyboard and trackball (personal preference), my grandkids can play their games on the TV where they get a bigger picture and therefore better experience. The batteries actually last a long time and they do make rechargeable batteries (tell that to the guy in the store). It all comes down to convenience for me, which is the reason we pay more for anything. I like what I like!!

Thread Information