Brand new dell, old monitor ViewSonic VX922 LCD -- flashes power button, no picture

Thread: Brand new dell, old monitor ViewSonic VX922 LCD -- flashes power button, no picture

Brand new dell, old monitor ViewSonic VX922 LCD -- flashes power button, no picture

I JUST got this new dell, but im using an old monitor with it.

When it starts up after day 2, it now sometimes will show the DELL screen (black with little dots circling) then the monitor will seem to go in standby mode. the green power button flashes and the screen is black.

my solution as of yet -- happened with 3 shutdown -- one for each reboot/new day is to simply shut down the computer with the desktop power button and start it back up.

any ideas?

thank you.
    Thank you to the gracious members of Virtual Dr for helping me for free since 2003.

FYI, i did try this page for drivers: http://www.viewsonic.com/us/support/...rod_name=vx922

but i A) do not know if i picked the right one -- none say win8. im a win 8 total newbie.

and B) i am not sure if i had admin privs or whatever that entails. i probably installed to the default folder which appear to have some kind of protection.
    Thank you to the gracious members of Virtual Dr for helping me for free since 2003.

Did you set it to the native resolution, 1280x1024?

I don't usually install drivers for monitors. If anything, you'd want to upgrade the video card drivers.

My settings (Scren resolution page) do accurately say the display is a vx922 ans the resolution (recommended it says) is indeed 1280x1024. orientation is landscape.

would it be possible that i need to update the video card drivers on a ~4 day old computer? is this what you recommend my next best option be?

It's possible the factory image has older drivers. Just because you got it 4 days ago doesn't mean they just installed the video drivers. You didn't give the video card make/model or the dell system model number.

Other than that, try the monitor on another computer and see if you have the same issues. If so, then the monitor is probably dying. How old is it? I'm guessing 6-7 years by the model number.

Yea it's pretty old, in that 6-7 year range. I thought these things were made to last. The one im using on this computer is probably a few years older than that even. It was the first replacement i had for my CRT. Runs like a champ too.

The computer model is: xps 8700 -- Processor: Intel Core 4th Generation i7-4770 Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.9 GHz)

the vid card is: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645 1.0GB GDDR5

6-7 years is really old for a monitor. If you have another monitor, try swapping it and see if you have the same problem. You need to isolate the problem to the PC or the monitor.

I don't see a GTX 645 listed on the nVidia site. I'm guessing it would take the same driver set as the 650GTX and 645GT.
    Do you have Win8 or 8.1?

http://www.nvidia.com/download/drive...px/71704/en-us
    GeForce 332.21 Driver
    Version: 332.21 WHQL
    Release Date: 2014.1.7
    Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit, Windows 8.1 64-bit, Windows 8 64-bit, Windows Vista 64-bit
    Language: English (US)
    File Size: 217.00 MB

Otherwise, go to the Dell site. I see different drivers listed for Win8 and 8.1
    http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/...oduct/xps-8700

I dont know if i have 8 or 8.1. If i have 8 should i upgrade to 8.1?

read on http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ows-8-tutorial

I dont know if i have 8 or 8.1
    Just type winver at the Start screen. or look at the This PC properties.

If i have 8 should i upgrade to 8.1?
    That's your call.

This might help you decide:
    Windows 8.1 Review: Little Changes Make a Big Difference

Thread Information