[RESOLVED] Roku 3

Thread: [RESOLVED] Roku 3

Resolved [RESOLVED] Roku 3

I have been looking into this Roku 3. From what I see I have all the required equipment and this includes a wireless router from Belkin. What I am particularly interested in is whether I can use it in such a way to watch a streaming program from any TV station. As example, I want to see a BBC movie from BBC in the UK or a movie from a German TV station. Both provide something that is called a Mediathek where they offer streaming movies. These movies and other programs can be watched on a PC/Laptop monitor using Adobe flash player.

Question: Can Roku 3 also receive via wi-fi these programs to be watched on a TV (flat screen)? I know that Chromecast cannot do it.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Some information that might help you decide can be found here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/roku-3/

Note: I've never used one so can't comment personally. You might also what to read the reviews at the bottom of that page.

Thanks for the article. I would interpret it that Roku can only use certain channels but not streaming programs from TV websites wherever they may be located. If anyone has a different idea I would appreciate a post here.

I have the answer. It is Chromcast. I visited Best Buy and found an offer of Chromecast for $29.99. I talked to a sales associate and asked the question whether I could watch any TV streaming program using Chromcast. He said : yes but I have to use Google Chrome as a browser. So I bought the dongle and installed it. I use my laptop as the transmitter in my home network. I installed resp. set up all the necessary casts and guess what - IT WORKS. I use it for instance to watch program from a German TV station or from a UK TV station (BBC). That is all what I wanted to achieve and I did it!

Thanks for the update. Appreciate it.

If u want the latest shows that are on from this season there not free what u r talking about are apps lets say csi ncis etc. would be on hulu but u have too pay for that hope this helps!

Thread Information