October 20th, 2013, 02:03 PM
How to download the Windows 8.1 ISO using a legitimate retail Windows 8 product key
- Go to this Microsoft site "Upgrade Windows with only a product key" and download the Windows 8 (not 8.1) installer. (It's small).
- When the download is complete, launch the Windows 8 installer and enter a legimate retail Windows 8 product key when prompted to do so.
- When the download of Windows 8 begins, wait until it reaches 1%, click the [Pause] button and then e[X]it the installer. (Do not simply quit the installer).
- Back on the same Microsoft site, (in Step 1 above), download the Windows 8.1 installer this time. (It's also small).
- When the download is complete, launch the Windows 8.1 installer and you'll see a screen telling you that the "Download did not complete successfully" along with an "Element not found" error. This is normal. E[X]it the installer.
- Re-launch the same Windows 8.1 installer and this time the Windows 8.1 ISO will start downloading.
- When the download is complete, select "Install by creating media" > click [Next] > select "ISO file" > click [Save] > select a location on your hard drive > give it a filename (such as "Windows_8.1.ISO") > click [Save] then [Finish].
October 20th, 2013, 09:45 PM
+1000 for this
An ISO saved elsewhere is always better than files on the computer you may have issues with later.
As an FYI, there is no notice that it is the ISO being downloaded at step 6, but that is what happened for me. There is an additional "verification" and "getting files ready", but after that you can save the ISO.
I won't be installing this for a few more weeks (watching any issues) but I snagged the ISO ASAP.
October 21st, 2013, 10:12 AM
March 12th, 2017, 01:44 PM
Store a complete backup of your system in a free cloud. Great tutorial SpywareDr.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)