How to download the Windows 8.1 ISO using a legitimate retail Windows 8 product key

Thread: How to download the Windows 8.1 ISO using a legitimate retail Windows 8 product key

Hybrid View

How to download the Windows 8.1 ISO using a legitimate retail Windows 8 product key

1. Go to this Microsoft site "Upgrade Windows with only a product key" and download the Windows 8 (not 8.1) installer. (It's small).

2. When the download is complete, launch the Windows 8 installer and enter a legimate retail Windows 8 product key when prompted to do so.

3. When the download of Windows 8 begins, wait until it reaches 1%, click the [Pause] button and then e[X]it the installer. (Do not simply quit the installer).

4. Back on the same Microsoft site, (in Step 1 above), download the Windows 8.1 installer this time. (It's also small).

5. When the download is complete, launch the Windows 8.1 installer and you'll see a screen telling you that the "Download did not complete successfully" along with an "Element not found" error. This is normal. E[X]it the installer.

6. Re-launch the same Windows 8.1 installer and this time the Windows 8.1 ISO will start downloading.

7. When the download is complete, select "Install by creating media" > click [Next] > select "ISO file" > click [Save] > select a location on your hard drive > give it a filename (such as "Windows_8.1.ISO") > click [Save] then [Finish].

+1000 for this

An ISO saved elsewhere is always better than files on the computer you may have issues with later.

As an FYI, there is no notice that it is the ISO being downloaded at step 6, but that is what happened for me. There is an additional "verification" and "getting files ready", but after that you can save the ISO.

I won't be installing this for a few more weeks (watching any issues) but I snagged the ISO ASAP.

Store a complete backup of your system in a free cloud. Great tutorial SpywareDr.

I have the 8.1 set up disc from microsoft and have formatted an HP laptop with 160 Gb and 2GB memory ,... when installing the windows 8.1 disc was recognised but wasn't given an option to format it just started to install and after 15 minutes says it could continue because of a driver issue .. ? never had that happen before on another PC when upgraded from XP3 to 8.1 .

THANKS
    Windows 10 Home 64 Intel® Core™ i5-8265U (1.6 GHz base frequency, up to 3.9 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)
    17.3" diagonal HD+ SVA BrightView WLED-backlit (1600 x 900) 256 GB - 5400 rpm SATA
    Windows 10 //21H1 (OS Build 19044..2251) 64bit //Google Chrome 118.0.5993.89 (Official Build) (64-bit)/ 16GB Memory/ AMD Radeon HD 7700 series Video Card//N68C-GS FX2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core /[/B]

What does that have to do with the Subject of this thread?

Thread Information