Apple TV and similar products

Thread: Apple TV and similar products

Apple TV and similar products

Apple TV (or equivalent)

In a house with an existing desktop pc (with XP), a router, and a cable internet connection .... how feasible is it to wirelessly connect an iPad toa an existing TV set --- thereby permitting a visually-impaired user to read her email on the TV and work the internet in other ways through the TV?

a) What hardware is required to link the iPad to the TV? Does Apple make the only brand of connection or are there choices too?

b) What kind of input connector (HDMI, VGA, or other) must the existing TV set have?

c) Can I use any iPad, even one of the older ones without a camera?

d) If the user has trouble typing with the iPad virtual keyboard can I connect an external keyboard? (I assume I can.)

e) Is there an article on the web someone can point me to that describes how to install such a system?

f) What are the drawbacks (that I maybe overlooking) with this scheme? (If it is as good as it appears to be, why hasn’t it been more widely adapted?)

Suggestions and comments would be appreciated.

Apple makes the hardware you'd need to do this..

http://www.apple.com/ca/airplay/

You'd need the Apple TV box to receive the signal from the Ipad. The Apple box connects to the TV via HDMI-2 (hdmi-2 is backwards compatible to hdmi-1 which is what the TV would likely have if it has HDMI at all)

You'd need a MAC wireless keyboard to connect to the Ipad via Bluetooth.

http://store.apple.com/ca/ipod/ipod-...ories/apple-tv click details for more specifics.

I'm not really a MAC person so I can't say how well it may work but it is a developed system so you'd think they'd have the bugs worked out. I'd go to a store that sells this stuff and see if they have any demos hooked up.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Fink: Great. I'll follow your advice. wdc

Thread Information