Remote Assistance requirement

Thread: Remote Assistance requirement

Remote Assistance requirement

My friend and I each have PCs running XP. For me to be able to use Remote Assistance to control the friend’s PC I see that we each need to have “a MAPI-compliant e-mail account such as Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express.” Is Yahoo.com MAPI-compliant? Is AOL email MAPI-compliant?
    Thanks.

Instead of using Remote Assistance, try Teamviewer. Way easier to use. No emails required.
    http://www.teamviewer.com/

Great suggestion. Had not heard of it. I'll try it. Thanks.

MidKnite: Following up on your suggestion (May 8) I am ready to try Teamviewer to control my friend’s pc. s my friend is not at all pc-capable, I will go to her location to enable the connection. As I want to minimize my trips there, I want to be sure I understand the procedure. Would you please comment on my understanding of the process?

1. I download Teamviewer to my friend’s pc (from her location). -- TVR assigns her an id and a password, which I make note of.

2. From my location I download TVR to my pc and enter my friend’s TVR ID into the “Partner’s ID” box in the Control Remote Computer panel of the initial TVR screen. I check the Remote Control button and click the “Connect to partner” box.

At that point will I really be able to control her pc as if I were there? Or is there more I need to do, at my end or her’s? Such as (?): ask her to turn her pc on; do other things?

Thanks for your help. .... wdc

Or is there more I need to do, at my end or her’s? Such as (?): ask her to turn her pc on; do other things?
    Of course, the PC has to be on. The other user has to be there to give you the password. That's for security.

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/products/security.aspx
    In addition to the PartnerID TeamViewer generates a session password that changes with every software start to provide additional security against unauthorized access to a remote system.

All they have to do is start the teamviewer client, tell you the codes, and then allow the connection.

MidKnyte: Thanks much.

Midknyte: Sorry to be so dense but I am afraid I need more handholding in using Teamview.

Is this how I use Teamviwer to control my friend’s pc?

1. My friend downloads Teamviewer on her (slave) pc and gets assigned an id (say 123456789) and a Password (say abcd). She tells me her id and password.

2. I download Teamviewer to my (master) pc. In the right-hand “Control Remote Computer” panel I enter her id (123456789) in the Partner ID box; I click the Remote Computer option; and click the “Connect to partner”.box.

3. That’s it. I am then able to control her pc from my location.

Right? ...wdc

That's basically it. Why don't you just try it first?

Did you look at any of the tutorials? Look at the Remote Control video.
    https://www.teamviewer.com/en/help/video.aspx

Thread Information