Running DOS application

Thread: Running DOS application

Running DOS application

My friend who is an accountant is using a WinXP machine. He wants me to assemble one for him. The problem is that he is one DOS based account software and he doesn't want to upgrade. This software runs fine in his existing machine and be viewed in full screen.

I just wonder if I can install Win 8 64-bit and run some virtual machine like VMWare or DOSbox etc to provide an environment to the accounting software to run. Also, he is printing the statements and report via a HP LaserJet 5L and Epson FX-850 for printing ledger, statements etc. I don't know whether this printer can be used as well. Please advice.

The problem is that he is one DOS based account software and he doesn't want to upgrade.
    No offense, but he should really upgrade. That app is a ticking time bomb. Why doesn't he want to upgrade? He could write it off of his taxes anyway. It might help if you said what the exact application is.

You can try running a VM, but no guarantees that it will work either.

The VM would connect through the host (Win8), so they would probably need Win8 compatible drivers. Those printers are really old too. The FX-850 doesn't even have drivers for Windows 2000. Yikes.

Does your friend really need windows 8?

Windows 7 has an inbuilt driver for the fx-850 ( according to Epson ) and downloading the driver updates shows the 5L has a driver as well.

hp5l.png

Install and use Windows XP Mode in Windows 7

Using Windows XP Mode, you can run programs that were designed for Windows XP on computers running Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate editions. Windows XP Mode is not supported on Windows 8.

Windows XP Mode works in two ways -- both as a virtual operating system and as a way to open programs within Windows 7. It runs in a separate window on the Windows 7 desktop, much like a program, except it's a fully-functional, fully-licensed version of Windows XP. In Windows XP Mode, you can access your physical computer's CD/DVD drive, install programs, save files, and perform other tasks as if you were using a computer running Windows XP.

When you install a program in Windows XP Mode, the program appears in both the Windows XP Mode list of programs and in the Windows 7 list of programs, so you can open the program directly from Windows 7.

Thanks for all your replies. My friend is going to retire within 5 years but this is not the only reason for him to keeping the DOC account software. He is too used to the old app and afraid of transferring data from it to the latest app. Anyway, it seems to me that Win7 should be a better choice and good enough for him to complete his career life.

You need not concern about Windows drivers for the printers.
    Output is directly controlled from the DOC application by embedding printer control codes these printers understand.
    If you use these non-gui printers mids a Windows driver, for instance with the DOS command net use lpt1 …. You would have to opt for the text only driver when installing these printers!

However be aware that Windows 64 bit doesn’t run 16 bit DOS programs, while Windows 32 bit mostly does (as Windows XP).
    Using a VM will complicate things, more than just the need for Windows drivers for the printers.

How long will these printers hold up and cartridges be available?
    You might consider replacing these for a modern one.

Problem would be that modern printers can’t be controlled by DOS/the DOC application.
    But you could try this: http://schaars.nl/vDos.7z.
    It’s based upon DosBox, focused on non-gaming, serious programs.
    Addressing some shortcomings like printing.

Preferably on the old PC:
    Unzip vDos.7z to a (new) folder (vDos?).
    Start vDos.exe.
    It should launch DataPerfect Test Drive 2.3 to confirm it’s working.

Close it.
    Edit the autoexec.txt file:
    Line 12: “use c: .\” -> “use c: c:\”
    Line 18: “cd dptest” -> “cd <DOC foldername>”
    Line 21: “dpt” -> “<DOC application>”

Start vDos.exe again, it should now launch the DOC application.
    Print something that would output to the Epson printer.
    If all goes well, you can create a shortcut to vDos.exe on your desktop.
    Eventually set in properties start minimized for a nicer startup.

If it works, it should be no problem to run it on another Windows (XP/7/8) 32 or 64 bit machine.

Thanks Jos for your information, I'll try but I can't post back the result soon as I need to try a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    weird how entangled these forums are. this is a problem i'll be faced with next spring when xp support ends.

and now that i'm reading your link, this is something i might want to try on my pc this summer while i have time.
    Last edited by terryZ; July 16th, 2013 at 11:04 AM.

Works fine, (when used as intended of course).

FYI: vDos has moved to: http://sourceforge.net/projects/vdos/

Thread Information