[RESOLVED] Locked out of Documents&Settings

Thread: [RESOLVED] Locked out of Documents&Settings

Resolved [RESOLVED] Locked out of Documents&Settings

Today, when I clicked on Computer, C: drive and click on Document and Settings - I'm denied access. There's a lock on the folder icon, also the same for Recycle.Bin. I've made no changes of which I'm aware.

In Windows 7 the C:\Documents and Settings folder is what's called a Junction, it is not a real folder. This folder was used in previous versions (XP) to hold all of the users files. This location was changed in Windows 7 to C:\Users.

A Junction is used to redirect a program to a different location for backward compatibility purposes. When a program that was developed for Windows XP is installed in Windows 7, it may be hard coded to look for the Documents and Settings folder. When it tries to access the Documents and Settings Junction, it will be automatically be redirected to the Users folder.

This Junction allows the older program to install and work. This backward compatibility is the only reason that the Documents and Settings Junction is present on the system. There are many other Junction points in Windows 7 and these can be recognized by the Shortcut Arrow or Padlock overlay on the Junction icon.

All of these Junctions have the permissions set to Everyone = Access Denied. This is done to protect them from accidental deletion or permission changes. You should not change any of these properties, because doing so can cause some programs to qiut working or prevent some programs from installing.

Okay, Doc, thanks for the explanation. Hadn't noticed it before.

SpywareDr - I understand your answer but have a question. If the Junction for D&S points you to C:\Users should you have/not have access to the folders under the different Users. I have made mysels System User with Admin rights but still seem to be locked out of areas such as Appliction Data, Cookies, Local Settings, My Documents, Sent To, and Start Menu. Under XP I could all of these areas. Why can't I do it in Win7?

Users:
    • AppData (Was named "Application Data" in XP)

C:\Users\<username>\AppData

• Cookies

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies

• Local (Was named "Local Settings" in XP)

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local

• Documents (Was named "My Documents" in XP)

C:\Users\<username>\Documents

• SendTo

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

• Start Menu

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

You cannot access the Junction Point directly, which is what you were trying. They are to redirect older apps looking for the legacy locations, not for the user.

Dr: Thanks for the reply.

OK. That makes sense. So all the areas I have tried to access are Junction Points for, lets say, XP. Then the ones you mentioned I can access - Which I did try and could get in. So to carry this a little more. I am trying to move files from XP to Win7. Most everything copied over by way of a Wormhole Switch JUC400. However I am trying to figure where to place my XP AddressBook and messages from Outlook Express to Outlook. Any suggestions as to where they can go so that Outlook picks them up? It may sound strange but I would rather go on running XP but the machine has other ideas and is not working properly anymore. So the change to a new system and Win7 where it seems as if nothing is as it used to be.

It doesn't matter where you put the old Outlook Express files. Outlook (from the Office suite) will not pick them up automatically. You have to import the address book, etc.

It looks like the best thing is to go to a book store and get a book on Win7. All the great advice is not going to get me anywhere unless I have something to read that spells out how to accomplish some of the things you are telling me. I can't keep going back to everyone and asking questions on how to do things in Win7 without knowing a little on how it works and how it differs from XP. I do appreciate everyone taking the time to answer my questions and trying to get me going on the right path.

Good place to start--you can get something more advanced later.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...+7+for+dummies
    Biostar TA790GX A2+ 6.0
    AMD Phenom X4 9750 CPU.
    4 Gig DDR2 Memory.
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    500 Watt P.S.
    LG W2241T Widescreen 22" LCD
    ViewSonic VA721 17" LCD
    Envision 17" LCD
    2 LG DVD Drives
    Floppy Disk Drive
    Maxtor 120 Gig Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
    Gateway NV5378-U Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    Acer Aspire V3-731 Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

On this XP system, the Outlook Express:
    • Address Book is named:

{the_Windows_XP_username}.wab

and is stored in:

C:\Documents and Settings\{the_Windows_XP_username}\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

• The email files are named:

Folders.dbx
      Inbox.dbx
      Offline.dbx
      Outbox.dbx

and are stored in:

C:\Documents and Settings\{the_Windows_XP_username}\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{BE72803F-096D-4D60-A713-38D3BF0C7CA1}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Copy those 5 files onto the Windows 7 Desktop, load Outlook, click File > Import and Export > Import Internet Mail and Addresses > Next > Outlook Express 4.x, 5.x, 6.x or Windows Mail > Next > . . . and you'll have to figure it out from there because I really don't want to mess up my Outlook.

Dr,

Sorry for the delay in reply. I will give your instructions a try. Thanks.

AF1

No problem. Best of luck. And you're welcome.

Thread Information