How can I rotate a MOV file?

Thread: How can I rotate a MOV file?

How can I rotate a MOV file?

We used an I-Pad to video a program this week at the church -- a memorial service in fact. When showing it on the I-Pad, it is in correct viewing position, but I used I-Tunes to transfer it to my Win 7 computer, and when it shows on the computer it is rotated 90 degrees. I would like to rotate it so it can be viewed correctly. There are two videos as it cut off at one point, but we immediately restrted it and so if possible, I would like to connect the two. This is a MOV file, and the VirtualDub free program I used to rotate short videos made with my digital camera does not read or write MOV files. When I do a search for MOV editors, McAfee tells me the DL is loaded with malware and viruses. Is there something available I could at least rotate the files to see them in correct orientation? If they can not be combined without a lot of cost or fuss, we can live with that, but I would like to know if I can rotate them. Thanks so much for your help.
    JGB

Possible
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/digit...-mov-file.html
    Since they list several options.

Thanks for the link. I did try one download but got a McAfee red box asking if I really wanted to go there due to malware, etc. I did do the DL, but disabled the Firefox and IE toolbars and something else. I will see if the DL worked without those. It indicated I could rotate the MOV files so I will try that. Combining the two would be nice, but a real extra that I may not get to do "free." I have a grandchild who has a Mac and they may be able to do that for me. Again, thanks
    JGB

VLC will open mov clips and it has the capability of rotating the frame 360 degrees. www.videolan.org/vlc/

Click the effects icon (labeled # 1 in pic below) and then the video effects and then geometry tab. Use your cursor to rotate the pic.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thanks for the suggestion. I got VLC and installed it. I found the icon for rotating 90 degrees and ran and converted a 15 second video just to see if it was correctly converted. It was, and VLC will play it, but it converted the file to "my video.ps" format and nothing else on the computer will run it. I looked for a ps file player, found Infranview, which I used to have, would open it. When I installed it and tried to open it, the small window came up and told me I needed some plugins from the home page. Installed all they had on Ifranview, and then the program told me I needed some other plugin, Ghostscript. Installed that, i thought, and it still did not work.

I could find no way to rotate the file and save it as a .mov file. Is there a way? I went to the forum for VLC and could find no help there, and the help file suggests looking at FAQ, then the forum. Perhaps I do not need to "convert" a file, and if I do not need to do that, how do I rotate it and save the rotated file? I did not see anything that allowed me to do that. Thanks for helping, for I really need it. Please be patient with my misadventures!
    JGB

I don't think that VLC can save or convert the clip with the movie rotated.. only viewed and then it remains as it was once you're done with watching it.

The only info I found on the .ps file is this..

http://www.ghacks.net/2011/07/15/how...-media-player/

..which has to do with extracting audio from the clip.

Just opening and watching the clip (and rotating the frame) will not change anything at all so you must have done more than just open it. All the other stuff with Irfanview etc should not be necessary under any circumstances.

There are undoubtedly ways of rotating and saving movies.. here is a search from www.videohelp.com for example..

http://www.videohelp.com/search?q=ro...d+save+a+movie

one thread jumps out.. http://www.videohelp.com/search?q=ro...d+save+a+movie

but from what I can see none of the solutions are particularly straight forward or simple and maybe not even free.. Quicktime pro is the solution that seemed to have worked in this case.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Fink, I really appreciate the info you have given me. I have a Sony digital camera that I can use to take videos -- limited in what it can do, for sure. Someone on this forum suggested VirtualDub would rotate videos when I had taken a short christmas video with the camera rotated. So, when I loaded the .mov file and it was sideways in Windows Media Player, I thought this would be easy, as it was with VirtualDub. I wanted to be able to send this to my family and make it easy for them to view. Well, I found sort of accidentally that Quicktime Player displays the .mov -- these are Apple files -- correctly. I changed the file association for .mov to Quicktime Player and it displays correctly in that program. I will tell folks to install Quicktime Player and make certain the file association is with it. But no place, as you found, could a program rotate and save the video clip. there were a couple of links in the link you gave me that indicated a possibility, but they were 5 years old and were no longer valid. But you really did some hunting for me, and I appreciate that.
    JGB

I don't work with .MOV files.
    With that said,
    You can see if the following applies,
    Cheers.

Shima, this program did rotate and save the MOV file. It looks like it would do lots of things I never thought of. Thanks for the link. Interestingly enough, when I did rotate and save it, and ghen opened it in QuickTime, it was rotated 90 degrees rather than upright as the original had been. Just did this to see what it would play like, but when I was able to open it in Windows Media Player, it did display correctly, in the rotated, upright way. Thanks so much.
    JGB

You're welcome.
    Cheers.

Thread Information