I installed a new CHIP FAN but didn't replace the stickypad/thermal grease...problem?

Thread: I installed a new CHIP FAN but didn't replace the stickypad/thermal grease...problem?

I installed a new CHIP FAN but didn't replace the stickypad/thermal grease...problem?

So... is this a problem? I did it about 2 weeks ago and I was pretty pissed and short on time and I replaced the chipfan that was failing on my ASUS a8n-sli motherboard, but I simply removed the little metal holder and popped in the new fan, then reinstalled it with the old grease (or whatever it was, like a sheet of plastic paper) still on -- I did not apply new thermal paste.

The good news is the fan now works well, and the loud screeching fan noise is gone. But is this a problem? Should I go back in and reapply paste and remove the old stuff? Thank you.

PS as an aside, I now have an error when I start the computer that the chip fan failed or is set wrong. It gives me the option to F1 and continue OR to remove the warning in setup. What should I do with regard to this?

Thanks for everythin virtualdr's.
    Thank you to the gracious members of Virtual Dr for helping me for free since 2003.

I would replace the thermal paste when reinstalling the heatsink. It sounds like you had a thermal pad, rather than paste.

I'm assuming you used the same power plug as the original fan. If so, then the error is probably due to rpm. The motherboard might be looking for a specific speed. If your new fan isn't an exact stock replacement, you can probably disable the warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    I would replace the thermal paste when reinstalling the heatsink. It sounds like you had a thermal pad, rather than paste.

I'm assuming you used the same power plug as the original fan. If so, then the error is probably due to rpm. The motherboard might be looking for a specific speed. If your new fan isn't an exact stock replacement, you can probably disable the warning.
    Ok thanks... it is not an exact fan. I would never buy an ASUS fan. These things are terrible lol.

So, seeing as how I already have the fan in place, should I leave it there or take it out and put in some new paste?

Thanks for the supremely fast reply!
    Thank you to the gracious members of Virtual Dr for helping me for free since 2003.

It's your call. If the temps are ok, I suppose you can leave it. If it were me, I would put in some better thermal paste than the stock.

Aha, non-stock fan. HP/Compaq had Asus boards on some models and we would get that error after switching fans.

Thread Information