Hp 2840 printing garbage

Thread: Hp 2840 printing garbage

Hp 2840 printing garbage

The printer at my wifes work will sometimes just print complete garbage. Random letters, numbers, characters etc.
    The set-up is a HP 2840 all in one printer on a wireless network. Two iMacs and one pc running xp pro. Problem happens on all three
    comps. It seems as if it will print ok if it is only one or two pages. Anything more than that and it's all garbage.
    My first thoughts were a bad data cable, but it's on wifi. Then I thought drivers, but that would normally only affect one computer not three.
    Any ideas appreciated.
    Thanks
    Win 7 Ultimate

WiFi interference.

Wikipedia: Wi-Fi > Interference

Wi-Fi connections can be disrupted or the internet speed lowered by having other devices in the same area. Many 2.4 GHz 802.11b and 802.11g access-points default to the same channel on initial startup, contributing to congestion on certain channels. Wi-Fi pollution, or an excessive number of access points in the area, especially on the neighboring channel, can prevent access and interfere with other devices' use of other access points, caused by overlapping channels in the 802.11g/b spectrum, as well as with decreased signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) between access points. This can become a problem in high-density areas, such as large apartment complexes or office buildings with many Wi-Fi access points.

Additionally, other devices use the 2.4 GHz band:

microwave ovens,
    ISM band devices,
    security cameras,
    ZigBee devices,
    Bluetooth devices,
    video senders,
    cordless phones,
    baby monitors,
    and (in some countries) Amateur radio

all of which can cause significant additional interference. It is also an issue when municipalities[44] or other large entities (such as universities) seek to provide large area coverage.

More: Wikipedia: Electromagnetic interference at 2.4 GHz

If you try to print the same document from the same computer multiple times (reset the printer after each time you get garbage), do you always get garbage, or does the document print OK some of the time? If it prints OK some of the time, then interference (or a bad wireless interface) is the most likely culprit. If you always get garbage with a particular document and computer, try printing from the computer, but use a copy of the printer driver that is set to use a wired connection. If it prints OK every time then, you have a wireless problem (or a wireless driver setup problem). If you still get garbage with a wired connection, then it is either a document problem, or possibly an issue with either the basic driver code or not enough printer memory. If this is the case, post the document type and size (of the file on disk), and the driver version, and how much memory the printer has. An updated driver might be available, or, if possible a printer memory upgrade might be needed. Try printing the document page by page to see if you can get any pages, or determine which page the printer does not like.

Hi Doc & jdc.
    Thanks for your replies.
    Doc: The only other device in the office is my wife's mobile phone.
    jdc2000: The way I see it, and I haven't actually seen it for myself, the problem exists with any document, on any of the three printers. I will try to get her to set up a wired connection and see if that solves the problem.
    Will keep you posted.
    Thanks
    Win 7 Ultimate

You may only have a mobile phone, but who know what your neighbors have. They may have a wireless network using the same channel you are trying to use.

Thread Information