Wifi connected to internet but tray icon shows red X

Thread: Wifi connected to internet but tray icon shows red X

Question Wifi connected to internet but tray icon shows red X

Something is going on with My Sony Vaio VGN FS920 computer. I can connect to my broadband wireless router fine. And then I can access the internet perfectly fine.

However, the wireless icon in the system tray has the red X through it and when I hover over it, it says Wireless Network Connection. Not connected. Right click for more options. When I View Available Wireless Networks, it shows my router, but says I'm not connected. And there are no other routers in range for me to be connecting to! Yet...I can access the internet perfectly fine.

I also checked the wireless button for WLAN on the front of my computer and that is set to on, so I'm stumped.

What version of Windows are you using?

My operating system is XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3.

Right-Click on My Network Places, and select Properties. That should open a window that shows all of your network connections. Right-click on each connection shown and make sure that there is a check mark in the box to Show icon in notification area when connected. It is possible that you have more than one wireless network connection set up, and the active one does not have the box checked to show an icon while an unused and disconnected conection does have an icon showing.

All network connections have the check box checked for Show icon in the notification area when connected.

The interesting thing I just noticed is that when I click on View Available Wireless Networks and the window comes up showing my network name, although it says Not connected with a yellow star next to the name on the right side of the window, Underneath my network name it says "Security Enabled wireless network. You are currently connected to this network. To disconnect from this network, click Disconnect. And the Disconnect button is shown below.

And of course the red x is showing across the wireless icon in the system tray.

Possibly useful links:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...d-25ee0d155844

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...0-7569307934c5

Note: If everything you need is working now, you may want to think twice before trying anything that might make the Not Connected message a reailty.

If you do want to try some fixes, making a backup image of your system first might be a good idea.

Thread Information