How to test phone line for noise without phone

Thread: How to test phone line for noise without phone

How to test phone line for noise without phone

Hi, Im having internet connectivity issues, until recently my connection has become unreliable, its keeps disconnecting. When i try to detect the problem it says 'DNS server not responding'. I phoned my ISP and they said its not the DNS server, and to check for noise on the line. I dont have a phone/receiver for making voice calls so how can i test the line without a phone ?

I dont want to buy a phone just for the sake of testing for line noise, the phone no use to me, as i use a moble for all my outgoing and incoming calls only internet ADSL router is connected to the line; there are no other devices connected to the line and its in close range.

Im using windows 7, 64-bit and everything was fine before 5 days ago.

since i got no other devices connected on this line and there are no other electrical interferance does it mean someone is listening in or eavesdropping (even though i dont have a phone) ?

or is there a way i can listen to the line through my multimedia speakers on the computer table ?

thanx
    Last edited by shahan; March 3rd, 2013 at 06:21 PM.

You can try this site..

http://myspeed.visualware.com/server...pdetective.com

Note that there are a number of different tests you can do.. I've linked to the quality test.. that is probably the best one to do first.

Also, I'm assuming you have a dry loop line for your DSL which means that a phone couldn't be used on it anyway since it isn't set up for one.

And finally you may want to use a different DNS server as a test.. here's instructions on how..

https://developers.google.com/speed/...dns/docs/using

.. to use Google's free, public DNS servers. It's actually a lot easier than it looks at first glance.
    Their DNS addresses are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Select IPv4.. don't worry about IPv6.

here's another tutorial on how to do that..

http://www.labnol.org/internet/setup...servers/11439/

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thank you, i have changed the DNS servers, so far so good (although it seems bit slow). I dunno if i have a dry loop line but i know i can put a phone on the line if anytime I wanted to its just that i dont have the need for a land line since the mobile does the job of making and receiving all my calls. I just chose to put internet on the line only to save from getting a seperate bill for any calls made on the land line.

I didnt quite understand the data from http://myspeed.visualware.com/server...pdetective.com about line noise but anyway as long internet is ok now thats awight

...but i dont understand why internet kept saying 'DNS server isnt responding' and my ISP saying it isnt there DNS server when it was working before, i mean if they had issues at their end they would say ?

if they had issues at their end they would say ?
    Not unless they were forced to by lots of people complaining and even then they'd often try to fix it quickly without any announcements or admissions.. it's just easier for them that way... a procedure that happens more often than not with many large ISP's not only with DNS server issues but any network problems.

If you can still use a phone then it's not dry loop which isn't necessary for DSL but is usually what's installed when no phone is needed. No big deal really but it does mean you could use a phone.. but you already knew that .

If you want to run the test again you can post the results here so we can look at them. I can't remember if they have a text only version but I think they do.. if not you can take a screenshot and attach that here as well.

They do give a summary as to what the results mean.. that should give a good indication of line condition.

the problem has come back again, and i have switched DNS's again from Google DNS to O2 to OpenDNS now....but still

Then it appears there's obviously a larger issue that needs to be fixed. Do you have another computer, maybe borrow a laptop to test on your connection? Are you using a router?.. if so bypass that and plug directly into the DSL modem.

Also worthwhile to power the modem and router if you have one off, wait a minute or two then power on again.

Your ISP should be able to set up a 24 hour line test on your connection to see if there are any issues.

i dont have a another computer and i dunno anyone who has a laptop.
    Yes, I have a router but i dont have a DSL modem,
    and yes, i have done a power cycle.

Since your ISP did first suggest checking for noise on the line I'd call them and ask for them to do a quality test on the line.

Did you get any more results on the test I linked to above?

eres the results for the line quality test..

line-quality-test.JPG

The two things that stand out are the consistency ratings of 19% and 70%.

I'd ask your ISP to do a line test. In the meantime, if you can, it's always a good idea to clean the contacts on all phone jacks and cables and demarc points in the residence. Demarc is where the phone/DSL lines enter the house/building.

Thread Information