Programs randomly switching to secondary monitor

Thread: Programs randomly switching to secondary monitor

Programs randomly switching to secondary monitor

First of all I don't think that there's actually a solution. I think it's just Windows being Windows and it's "one of those things" it does with a mind of it's own.

I have a few programs like ACdsee pic viewer, XYplorer file manager and a few other utilities that occasionally and randomly open on my second monitor on their own.

Sometimes they just open in that monitor and sometimes they just switch to it without warning while I'm using them.. always after I do something like switch to or from full screen or open a different part of their GUI.

I've tried the old trick of either holding the ctrl or shift key and closing them down on the monitor they're supposed to be on but that makes no difference.

It never happens with my browsers or any Windows components.. just certain 3rd party programs and always the same ones.

It's always done this and I've just dealt with it because it isn't a show stopper by any means but I'm just thinking that perhaps others may have seen this behavior as well and might have a solution.

TIA

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

The most frequent issues I have seen with this are:

1. Microsoft Office applications, where I have moved the window to the second monitor and set it to full-screen (maximized). Usually if I open another document of the same type, it will open on the same monitor, but I have seen it open on that monitor and then automatically switch to the other one. Also, sometimes the macro warning dialog box will appear on whatever monitor where the application that currently has focus is located (when I have opened an Office document, but have other things I can be doing on the other monitor while waiting for the Office document to open).

2. Internet Explorer popups may appear on the second monitor when the original window is on the first monitor.

I have not found any solution for this, but then I really haven't looked for one.

I did dual monitors for 5+ years at the office and never had that problem. (xp & vista)
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Steve -

What display adapter make and model were you using? I have seen the #1 item from my previous post on a Dell with a dual-head ATI Radeon HD 3450 adapter. The #2 item can happen on any system that I have seen.

I use Ultramon, but it's a paid product. Displayfusion is another. Both are able to assign apps to specific monitors (paid version of Displayfusion). I'm not sure if there are freebies that do the same thing.

I tried the trial version of Ultramon about a year ago. It didn't stop this problem from happening though.. those specific programs still had a mind of their own and once every 8 - 15 usages they'd jump over to the second monitor.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

I've also been using Ultramon for quite some time on three different setups and don't believe I've seen the scenario you described. Programs stay where I put them and reopen there the next time as well. (Except when one of the monitors isn't available of course).

Thread Information