Does MS Security Essentials Auto Update?

Thread: Does MS Security Essentials Auto Update?

Does MS Security Essentials Auto Update?

I’m using Microsoft Security Essentials with Window 7 Home Premium. I don’t see any auto update with MSE. I’ve been manually updating it once or twice per day. Since it’s free, I figured it has no auto update. I also have Malwarebytes Pro.

Does MSE auto update? I’ve checked the settings and don’t see this feature.

As for the “pay for” anti-virus programs, what highly rated one has a fast A/V scan?

Also, I do have Kaspersky Internet Security but it won’t install as I think it doesn’t get along with Malwarebytes.

Thanks,
    Mike

MSE does have a auto update. It is under Settings. Note the way I have the settings where it updates before it scans daily.

Thanks for the reply...I missed that in settings!

Mike

You are welcome!

mike2rc--I am pretty sure MSE will update definitions daily without your having to do it. Program updates depend on the setting Train told you about.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

As most people, I have a wireless router (Linksys). Is Windows firewall necessary with a router? I think most pay-for AV's have their own firewall and disable the Windows firewall. I once heard the Windows firewall can slow things down so disable it if you have a router and a pay-for AV program.

I'd rather be safe than sorry!
    Mike

Windows firewall has improved greatly over the years. I use it with my router that also has a built in firewall. However if you have an a/v suite that has it's own firewall you should only use one or the other... not both.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Been using the windows firewall since Vista came out and a router.
    Never had a bit of problem.

Thanks! No problems yet with MSE and Malwarebytes. It seems to run silent in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by mike2rc View Post

Is Windows firewall necessary with a router?
    The idea is to build a multi-layered defense . . . so that if something malicious is able to sneak through your outer layer(s), one of your other layers will stop it.

I had the idea that more than one firewalls can slow your download speeds. Yet, I'd rather be safe than spend hours cleaning up viruses. I do get 20 - 30 plus Mbps download via cable. Also, I didn't know the MS firewall was much improved.

@HOME, a forerunner of Comcast, is the only one to break through a router for me and that was in 2000 when home routers were not all that good. So 12 years and no break through is right nice. Still my firewall stopped them. But remember that was 98SE back then.

I never open any strange email...junk it and delete. When my virus checker does catch a Trogan virus (or similar), what's the most common way these viruses sneak in? My "guess" is various web sites. I normally only use the well known web sites.

When I did have ESET, it did warn me about dangerous web sites. That was a plus over MSE.

Oh I have seen MSE throw up virus warnings. Right above the clock is where they show up. Some of my clients are something else.

Thread Information