[RESOLVED] Desktop Icons load Twice

Thread: [RESOLVED] Desktop Icons load Twice

Resolved [RESOLVED] Desktop Icons load Twice

Hello, ------- For over a year My Windows 7 start up has been slowed down because the desktop icons appear to load twice. My attempts to eliminate this condition through Google searches, various forums, (including this one) modifying the contents of two desktop files have proved unsuccessful.

On start up, all icons load early in the process and appear normal until the process end. Then after a pause all the icon colors disappears producing a white background for each icon, then the color starts coming back one icon at a time. During this time the computer seems to be locked in that nothing can be done until the icons retake their normal appearance.

Other than the delay caused by this condition, the computer functions normally. My searching indicates that this condition is not unusual but I have yet to see a response where the condition has been removed. Does any one have a solution or suggestions that I might try?

Tip: The more icons you have on your Desktop, the slower your computer boots up.

Midknyte, ------I followed your advice and used the information from the Windows 7 forum using both options with unsuccessful results. In addition, Step 5 of the second option provides guidance for rebuilding the Icon Cache to the original default values. I also went through that procedure. Again, there was no change in the start up process, all icons appeared slowly in their second appearance before the computer became useable.

SpywareDr, ----- I agree with you about slow booting due to a large number of desktop icons. Earlier, before my first posting, I removed all but two icons (My Computer & Recycle Bin) from from the desktop. Many of the remaining I installed to the Task bar. Again, there was a noticeable delay.

My impression is that there is nothing wrong with the Icon Cache and that removing all icons from the desktop and task bar will eliminate my problem. But the thought of searching the computer for a program used only occasionally doesn't seem too appealing. In any case thank you for your help and if any further advice occurs to you I would appreciate it.

Another option would be to increase the iconcache size. Default is 500K.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...e-windows.html

Quote Originally Posted by shrdlu View Post

... the thought of searching the computer for a program used only occasionally doesn't seem too appealing. In any case thank you for your help and if any further advice occurs to you I would appreciate it.
    Create a new folder somewhere named "Favorite Programs" with shortcuts to all your favorite programs in it.

Now right-click any blank space on the Taskbar, select "Toolbars" > "New toolbar" then browse to and select your new "Favorite Programs" folder.

TaDa! You've now got your very own 'quick launch'-type link near the right end of your Taskbar with shortcuts to all of your favorite programs in it.

Tip: You can also stick shortcuts to your most-used drive:\foldernames in there as well.

Midknyte, ----- I increased the folder size four times from its present size which should have provided more than enough space from its present size. The results were the same, reloading of the desktop icons. Thank you for your continued interest.

SpywareDr, Success, TaDa! Your New-Toolbar approach (Quick Launch) worked. Mine as given in Post #4 didn't - and after periodically trying to solve the problem for about a year - I don't care. So far, my system has responded well and any former icons that I put in the Toolbar folder are available with a couple of clicks. I still left the Computer icon and the Recycle Bin icon on the desktop and have not seen any delays from them. Thank you again for you help.

Well, that's a good workaround.

If you want to tweak your Quick Launch, here's more info:
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...e-disable.html

Though the question appears to be resolved, I checked Google again on the item since I had the same issue. I use the taskbar heavily to have all my most uised apps available in sight. Also my taskbar is hidden and two lines high (the taskbar is nothing more than a "window"). I my search Icame up with the following website:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...e-rebuild.html

and I tried the solution and it worked out w/o creating a new toolbar. Maybe this helps too?

That's the same link I posted in post #2.

Thread Information