Create Vista Bootable DVD for install
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Create Vista Bootable DVD for install

Create Vista Bootable DVD for install

Trying to continue my learning!

I have been given an old PC which is missing its hard drive.

With a new hard drive I want to install Vista, but I don't have an installation disk.

I found this site Heidoc which I understands allows legal download of Vista OS.

I have followed the "basic" instructions there. Downloaded the 3 files, X14-63452.exe, boot.wim and install.wim (saved to C: )

I ran the exe. which created a folder called vista (c:\vista)

I also downloaded, burned the iso and installed (AIK) for Windows Vista from Microsoft

I load Windows PE Command prompt and (as per instructions on heidoc) enter "oscdimg –bC:\Vista\boot\etfsboot.com -h -lVISTA_EN_DVD -m -u2 C:\Vista\ C:\windows_vista_with_service_pack_1_dvd.iso" (without the quotes) in order to create the image.

However I get an error returned in PE:

Updating path to include peimg, cdimage, imagex

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\
    C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\..\AMD64;C:\Program Files\Windows
    AIK\Tools\PETools\..\x86

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools>oscdimg -bC:\Vista\boot\etfsboot.com
    -h -lVISTA_EN_DVD -m -u2 C:\Vista\ C:\windows_vista_with_service_pack_1_dvd.iso

OSCDIMG 2.54 CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Premastering Utility
    Copyright (C) Microsoft, 1993-2007. All rights reserved.
    Licensed only for producing Microsoft authorized content.

ERROR: Could not delete existing file "C:\Vista\"
    Error 5: Access is denied.

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools>

Anyone know where its going wrong?

Many thanks as usual

Phil

Best guess is this is the first place where things went wrong:

I found this site Heidoc which I understands allows legal download of Vista OS.
    You'd probably be better off trying to borrow a dvd from someone. You just need to match your key code to the dvd.. Meaning if you have a Retail key code - you need a retail dvd.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Best guess is this is the first place where things went wrong:

You'd probably be better off trying to borrow a dvd from someone. You just need to match your key code to the dvd.. Meaning if you have a Retail key code - you need a retail dvd.
    I thought that site would be OK? While not a direct link to vista, the site is linked to from answers.microsoft.com when being pointed in the direction to win 7 from digital river!

Do you think this is dodgy?

Those are all Win 7, I do not see anything on Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    Those are all Win 7, I do not see anything on Vista.
    Which is why I said "While not a direct link to vista"

Quite simply, on the MS Answers website there is a link to Heidoc website list of win 7. On the heidoc website there is an internal link to microsoft products in their entirity (well recent products) and still on the heidoc site, which is where I found the vista download. Same website, same company, different version of windows?

Why do I get the feeling I am being judged here?

I am not ripping anyone off, I am not pirating software or promoting it's use. In fact I have been the victim of pirate software so I wouldn't go looking for it. And just out of interest I sent the software to the manufacturer/writer with all the details of where purchased etc.

I just wanted to learn a bit about Vista, since I have hardly used it and despite advice, friends and family have it installed with all the bloatware from dell et al, and I want to be able to help them as I do for those who use other OS's I am more familiar with. I'm pretty rubbish with DOS as well as PE Tools and just simply hoped somebody could help with the command for creating an ISO.

They do say how to "Create your own bootable Vista iso image"
    http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technol...download-links

You can then trigger the iso creation by opening "Windows PE Tools", which will give you a command prompt. There you enter the following line:

oscdimg –bC:\Vista\boot\etfsboot.com -h -lVISTA_EN_DVD -m -u2
    C:\Vista\ C:\windows_vista_with_service_pack_1_dvd.iso

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    They do say how to "Create your own bootable Vista iso image"
    http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technol...download-links

You can then trigger the iso creation by opening "Windows PE Tools", which will give you a command prompt. There you enter the following line:

oscdimg –bC:\Vista\boot\etfsboot.com -h -lVISTA_EN_DVD -m -u2
    C:\Vista\ C:\windows_vista_with_service_pack_1_dvd.iso
    Yep, I load Windows PE Command prompt and (as per instructions on heidoc) enter "oscdimg –bC:\Vista\boot\etfsboot.com -h -lVISTA_EN_DVD -m -u2 C:\Vista\ C:\windows_vista_with_service_pack_1_dvd.iso" (without the quotes) in order to create the image.

However I get an error returned in PE:

So, can you see if there is anything wrong in the command? Or am I doing something wrong?

That tells me if you look into the root of C:\ you will find a Vista folder. If you can delete it. If not change the command a dash . Like C:\Vista\ to C:\Vissta2 or some such. All it takes is one character to change things in DOS like commands.

Were you at an elevated command prompt? (Click Start, type "cmd" (without the quotes), right-click "cmd.exe" in the list and select "Run as administrator").

Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    Were you at an elevated command prompt? (Click Start, type "cmd" (without the quotes), right-click "cmd.exe" in the list and select "Run as administrator").
    Hi Doc, thanks for the idea. The issue I am having is within pE tools, and I open that using the "run as administrator" option.

Using windows DOS Run, cmd, open as administrator, I get an error that oscdimg is not a valid command.

I'm doing this on a PC that is running win 7 pro 64, and the vista I am trying to create is 32, don't know if that makes a difference. Anyhow, I am going to try this on my old XP 32 bit machine and see if that helps!

Thanks

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by techallenged View Post

I get an error that oscdimg is not a valid command.
    Did you try adding the "drive:\complete\path" to where the oscdimg.exe program file is located to the end of your PATH, or, copying the oscdimg.exe into your current folder?

Did you try adding the "drive:\complete\path" to where the oscdimg.exe program file is located to the end of your PATH, or, copying the oscdimg.exe into your current folder?
    Copied oscdimg.exe to folder C:\Windows\System32 (because that is the command line that loads by default using run>cmd)

Ran cmd as admin, back to the original error:

BTW Tried on the xp machine, same error

Try removing the trailing "\" from the "C:\Vista\" portion of your command. ("C:\Vista").

Try removing the trailing "\" from the "C:\Vista\" portion of your command. ("C:\Vista").
    Same error, cannot delete, access denied.

I've been looking and when I rc>properties of the vista folder created from the setup, "Read Only" has the box coloured as opposed to blank or checked (some but not all read only files/folders within it? ). I have tried altering this to blank and apply to all subfolders and files, however after this has been "Applied" it returns to the coloured box status!

Anyway, I'm trying a different approach. The setup file will allow me to upgrade the xp machine to vista... which I have now done, choosing a clean install. I don't know if I could use this clean install to create an iso to use as install for the PC that has the CoA? Any ideas?

Thanks

Phil

Nope, I'm afraid I don't. Never tried doing it that way.
    Last edited by SpywareDr; February 9th, 2013 at 02:06 PM.

Thread Information