Windows 98 Start up problem

Thread: Windows 98 Start up problem

Hybrid View

Windows 98 Start up problem

I recently dug out my very old Tiny computer which runs on Windows 98. It hasn't been used for many years but I need to use it again as certain software that we use in our business only works on Windows 98.
    When I switched it on the Windows 98 screen appeared in colour for a second then suddenly faded to a very faint grey like when in safe mode. Then the screen went black after which some writing appeared but this too disappeared so quickly that I couldn't read it.
    The screen then stays black and nothing else happens.
    I've tried repeatedly pressing the F8 screen when booting up and it beeps like crazy but nothing happens.
    I took a video of this and then watched it through slowly so that i could read it and it says press delete to go in to set up so I've pressed delete and it goes to a blue screen giving various options.image.jpgimage.jpg
    I haven't got a clue where the disks are that came with the PC as its so old and I've moved house twice.
    Any suggestions on how I can overcome this would be very welcome.
    I have attached stills of the screens.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tickled_Pink
    I recently dug out my very old Tiny computer which runs on Windows 98. It hasn't been used for many years ...
    Not knowing the storage conditions,
    Did you clean out the internals of the computer prior to use?

Quote Originally Posted by Tickled_Pink
    ... When I switched it on the Windows 98 screen appeared in colour for a second then suddenly faded to a very faint grey like when in safe mode. Then the screen went black after which some writing appeared but this too disappeared so quickly that I couldn't read it...
    Clarify.
    State exactly at which stage the screen fades.
    e.g. Does it manage to reach the desktop or prior. If prior to desktop, during POST or after POST...
    Cheers.

Check the cable connections for power and data to the hard drive. Do you get any attempt to boot from the hard drive after the message about searching for a boot record on the CD-ROM drive?

Check the BIOS battery. And definitely set the time in the bios.

Been many a year since that computer came out, but I believe the BIOS battery may be causing some fits here.

Thanks everyone.. Problem solved. The problem was faulty hardware..... The monitor to be precise. Changed to another monitor and it all works fine now, just like it did when I first bought it 15 years ago. Whoever said computers become obsolete after 3 years

I first bought it 15 years ago. Whoever said computers become obsolete after 3 years
    Thanks for posting the fix. Sometimes we get lucky. You sure did.

Thread Information