Windows 98se, Deskpro EN, HP Scanjet5100c mouse problems
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 98se, Deskpro EN, HP Scanjet5100c mouse problems

Windows 98se, Deskpro EN, HP Scanjet5100c mouse problems

This system is freshly restored. Before the ps/2 mouse would sometimes 'go dead' on me making me have to reboot the system. After replacing a bad memory stick in the system and a full system restore everything was working great. I attributed the ps/2 mouse failing to the bad memory stick.

I just recently installed the drivers again for my HP Scanjet 5100c scanner. Now I am periodically getting the ps/2 mouse 'freeze' problem again periodically. My assumption is now that the drivers for the Scanjet are causing this issue. Has anyone else run into something like this? Anyone have any tips?

Scanjet drivers are as up to date as I can find from the HP site.
    Something to do while waiting for long downloads. Atari Adventure

Go into the BIOS and try clearing the ESCD (system configuration) data and restarting to let the system poll all the hardware from scratch. Also, when you say "system restore" are you talking a true system restore (yes, you can do it in 98SE) or just a Windows reinstall?

Have a look at this, too. Can't find the one I used to refer to, it's been ages since I wanted to find it! This is why I suggest clearing the system configuration data, let everything get assigned IRQs at once to avoid conflicts/sharing wherever possible.

One last tip, install the drivers in the operating system first, then shut down the computer if you're using a parallel port connection. Connect the scanner, turn it on then start the computer and let the scanner be detected. If the scanner has a USB connector, turn on the computer AND scanner, then plug the scanner into the USB port and let the computer detect it. 98SE was really finicky about installing newer hardware.
    Last edited by lgbpop; December 5th, 2011 at 11:43 PM.

OK I will try these suggestion.

To clarify it was a complete system reinstall. Wiped the HD clean and started over.

OK, that means virtually no drivers for anything used today. It'll take some tweaking and then you still have to keep your fingers crossed. 98SE was the bomb ten years ago but it's long out of MS factory support and no one writes drivers or anything else for it anymore. Y'all doing this for a lark, or are you running DOS-based apps still?

This is only for WINDOWS 98 SECOND EDITION ENGLISH.
    http://majorgeeks.com/UNOFFICIAL_Win...ack_d4131.html
    I have used it years ago for the updaates.

Effective July 11, 2006, Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me (and their related components) will transition to a non-supported status. After this date, Microsoft will no longer provide any incident support options or security updates. Microsoft is not offering a custom support agreement for these products.
    http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1139

The programs I run then still run in Win 7 with not problems.

Quote Originally Posted by lgbpop View Post
    OK, that means virtually no drivers for anything used today. It'll take some tweaking and then you still have to keep your fingers crossed. 98SE was the bomb ten years ago but it's long out of MS factory support and no one writes drivers or anything else for it anymore. Y'all doing this for a lark, or are you running DOS-based apps still?
    I'm not using anything used today on this system. I use this for legacy support. Wing Commander III etc. Deskjet 5100c is a scanner that came out in Windows 95's heyday and uses the parallel port.

I am aware of the current state of things. Thank you for the heads up though!

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    This is only for WINDOWS 98 SECOND EDITION ENGLISH.
    http://majorgeeks.com/UNOFFICIAL_Win...ack_d4131.html
    I have used it years ago for the updaates.

Effective July 11, 2006, Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me (and their related components) will transition to a non-supported status. After this date, Microsoft will no longer provide any incident support options or security updates. Microsoft is not offering a custom support agreement for these products.
    http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1139

The programs I run then still run in Win 7 with not problems.

Cool running on the legacy stuff. I always had the best results adding the drivers into the OS first, then doing a shutdown and reboot. At that point the OS will detect and install hardware as well (almost) as 2000 and XP used to. One last piece of advice, for what it's worth - the install disks that came with old hardware NEVER installed stuff as well when left to their own devices as the user could do on his/her own. Some things never change!

Quote Originally Posted by lgbpop View Post
    Go into the BIOS and try clearing the ESCD (system configuration) data and restarting to let the system poll all the hardware from scratch. Also, when you say "system restore" are you talking a true system restore (yes, you can do it in 98SE) or just a Windows reinstall?
    Is this a reset button on the motherboard? I cant find any option like this in the Deskpro EN BIOS settings.

Not all BIOS versions have this, unfortunately. If they do, it may say "clear ESCD" as my ABIT motherboards do, "reset configuration data" on some older Biostar Intel boards I've used, or other manufaturers would use a similar setting. Some Phoenix BIOSes are so rudimentary the ability won't be offered. I can say with confidence that most branded computers don't offer it, or at least didn't used to. Many Dells do. You'll just have to search through all the options.

I've never known of a jumper one could reset to do the job.

Have you thought of just using another mouse? Then see if the problem still exists?
    Dave
    *** Help others less fortunate.

JESUS IS LORD !

Quote Originally Posted by davidgsmith View Post
    Have you thought of just using another mouse? Then see if the problem still exists?
    Dave
    Yeah I have. I'll have to get another one. However the problem doesn't happen on cue which makes it difficult to determine.

It seems the PS/2 port on this system is hosed or something. Anyways I just had MSI give me a readout of what irq's were doing what.

IRQ 5 Intel(R) PRO/100 VM Network Connection
    IRQ 5 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    IRQ 5 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    IRQ 10 Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller
    IRQ 10 Creative Sound Blaster PCI128
    IRQ 10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    IRQ 10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    IRQ 11 ALL-IN-WONDER 9600 SERIES
    IRQ 11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    IRQ 14 Primary IDE controller (single fifo)
    IRQ 14 Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller
    I gotta get rid of this 'unknown device' tahts taking up memory. Gotta find and disable.

x00000000 - x0009FFFF System board extension for ACPI BIOS
    x000A0000 - x000AFFFF ALL-IN-WONDER 9600 SERIES
    x000B0000 - x000BFFFF ALL-IN-WONDER 9600 SERIES
    x000C0000 - x000CBFFF ALL-IN-WONDER 9600 SERIES
    x000D9800 - x000DBFFF System board extension for ACPI BIOS
    x000E0000 - x000FFFFF System board extension for ACPI BIOS
    x00100000 - x17FFFFFF System board extension for ACPI BIOS
    x40000000 - x40000FFF Intel(R) PRO/100 VM Network Connection
    x40000000 - x402FFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
    x40300000 - x4030FFFF ALL-IN-WONDER 9600 SERIES
    x40300000 - x406FFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
    x40320000 - x4033FFFF ALL-IN-WONDER 9600 SERIES
    x40400000 - x4040FFFF ALL-IN-WONDER 9600 SERIES - Secondary
    x48000000 - x4FFFFFFF ALL-IN-WONDER 9600 SERIES
    x48000000 - x57FFFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
    x50000000 - x57FFFFFF ALL-IN-WONDER 9600 SERIES - Secondary
    x58000000 - x5BFFFFFF PCI standard host CPU bridge
    xFEC00000 - xFEC00FFF Advanced programmable interrupt controller
    xFEEA0000 - xFEEBFFFF System board extension for ACPI BIOS
    xFFB80000 - xFFBFFFFF Unknown Device
    xFFF80000 - xFFFFFFFF System board extension for ACPI BIOS

Still working on that? You may be better off getting a NOS motherboard and processor and going from there. Depending on how basic or advanced you want I still have a small selection of Socket 370 boards left, maybe a Socket 462/A even. Did you ever try a USB mouse with it?

Thread Information