Problem with Pixar Cars game on PC

Thread: Problem with Pixar Cars game on PC

Problem with Pixar Cars game on PC

Hi, first time here. :-)

I own a Toshiba laptop (about a year old) and last year purchased the Pixar Cars computer game. It works great. My kids love it so much I bought an extra copy (the game comes with 2 disks - one to load and one to keep in the drive when playing) of the game to load on my Mom's computer since my sons will be there this week for spring break and then both boys can play the game at the same time (and maybe even race each other). Or so I thought. Mom also has a Toshiba Laptop bought just a few months after mine so I expected no problems. Yesterday Mom tried installing it and when the game starts it seems fine. When you go to choose what you want to play in the game it begins to load the race and then quits with an error (sorry I am at work and don't have the computer with me to type out the error). I'm a Mac girl so I don't really know what to do. Yesterday we uninstalled and reinstalled with my original disks since they worked fine on our computer. Tried to work with the control panels options and setting. I continue to have the same result - game loads and starts fine, quits with an error when you choose the game to play and it starts loading. I just don't know what else to do, but can't understand why an almost identical computer won't run the game. Not to mention I have 4 and 7 yr old boys expecting me to fix it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time. :-)

The exact error message that you are getting would be very useful. However, it is possible that there are also hardware differences between the 2 Toshiba laptops. If one has an ATI of nVidia graphics adapter and the other uses an onboard GPU, that could also be the trouble.

Link:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...rs-109572.html

Smile Thanks for the reply

I am just about fed up trying to solve this one. I hate to give up on it but we are really stuck!

I went back last night and tried again. When I start the game it tries to run, but once I get past all the initial set up and choose a game to play, it tries to load the Grand Prix race and then shuts down and returns me to my desktop. The error message I get says, Cars.exc has encountered an unknown error and cannot run. Sometimes I also get an error message that flashes at the bottom tool bar but disappears before I can read it. It is something about a program has changed my color settings and it is causing an error. I looked all around my control panels and could not find color settings to see what it is set on or how to change it.

My biggest problem now is that I cannot remove the game! Monday when we first tried it, my Mom was able to uninstall twice. After the first uninstall, she tried to install the THX program first but had the same results. Then she uninstalled a second time to let me try when I got home from work. When I tried, I installed with my original dvd discs because I know they work on my computer (just in case there was a problem with the used discs I bought off ebay). Now, we cannot uninstall that version at all. Every way we try gives us an error message that says unable to install.

Thinking we were quite clever, we decided to run the the restore to set the computer back to the day before we first installed the program. We are now getting an error message after a long wait while the computer processes the restore request. The error says that because of an unknown internal error it cannot complete the restore and no changes have been made. The not working game remains on the computer.

Any ideas of how we can remove the game would be a great help! I am considering taking it to Best Buy but seriously don't want them to come up with tons of things they want to install and change on the computer that isn't necessary. This laptop works great and I sure don't want to mess up my Mom's computer!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hate giving up on anything - especially when it's something for my kids!

Cars.exc has encountered an unknown error and cannot run.
    Intel gpu on the problem computer?

Cars.exc has encountered an unknown error and cannot run.
    Intel gpu on the problem computer?

Thanks for the reply

Thank you for the link, I did look that over and made note of a few things to check. I was also wondering about the Intel gpu after reading the threads I found there about the cars game. I have made a note to check since I am not sure what her computer or even our laptop has. I had thought that we had an Intel chip in ours, but not sure.

By the way, is there any way to get the game to run on my new iMac? I tried to load it and it gave me an error that it could not run without the old system 9 software that used to be on the Macs. I now have a lovely 27" iMac that isn't even a year old yet and I would love to be able to play the game on it. Just a thought :-)

Thank you! I will post back about the Intel gpu

Version 2 of the game looks like it will run on OSX.

Thread Information