[RESOLVED] Trying to re-install XP Home-Setup keeps failing and looping.

Thread: [RESOLVED] Trying to re-install XP Home-Setup keeps failing and looping.

Resolved [RESOLVED] Trying to re-install XP Home-Setup keeps failing and looping.

Dell Dimension 3000
    Win XP Home Edition-SP3
    Pent 4
    Ram 256M

Attemping to reinstall XP Home edition on my Dell with the media DVD. The re-install started fine went through "Preparing Installation " but when it started to "Installing Windows" I get a fail screen with a fatal error window". This DVD is from Dell for this system. Used it once before to reinstall Win.

An error has been encountered that prevents SetUp from continuing.
    Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information. Press OK to view the Setup log file.

When I click OK i get the following message.

Window is titled
    System Setup Log - (c:\windows/setuperr.log)
    ERROR:
    The signature for Windows XP Edition Upgrade is invalid. The error code is 426. The service has not been started.

(it goes on to say)

Fatal Error: Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information.

When I click CLOSE to close the window the system reboots and goes right back to the same spot where it started to reinstall windows again "Instaling Windows". I get the same error over and over again and it just keeps looping. If I take the DVD out it asks to reinsert it, then fails again. I have tried booting to safe mode to see if I can do anything etc. I have even tried booting to safe mode "prompt only" then it starts the windows install again. I can't get around this loop. One time I was able to get to the meanu which gave me a selection to Quit the setup, i chose that but once again it went right to the same spot in setup and started thge endless loop again.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by question2012; February 3rd, 2013 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Added SP3 to post

Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Welshjim: Thank you for your reply. I renamed the file catroot2 to catold as per instructions and it does seem to be installing past the point it kept looping. So far so good; keeping my fingers crossed. I thank you very much; this was driving me crazy. Will report back to flag as resolved when it completes (hopefully )
    Last edited by question2012; February 3rd, 2013 at 02:54 PM. Reason: typo

Windows installation completed successfully!

This thread is 'RESOLVED'

Thanks

Thread Information