Firefox tabs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox tabs

Firefox tabs

Hi there,

I use an old version of Firefox (V2.0.2) and it works well for most things. On my VM, I am playing with the current version which does not support some of the Add-ons that I use in the older version.

However, although I have the new version set to open links in a new tab, it doesn't; everything opens in the same window. If I create a new, blank tab, then it does open in that tab. Is this the new default behaviour or have I overlooked a setting somewhere?

Thanks

Rex
    What if the Hokey Cokey IS what it's all about?

Links from where? Bookmarks? Links on a website?

Are you using middle-click to go to new links? That should open it in a new tab.

Otherwise, get an addon like Tab Mix Plus, which has way more tab control.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../tab-mix-plus/

Usually links from the web page, I have not tried from bookmarks. In my main browser (FF2.0.2) clicking on any link opens in a new tab. Right clicking and selecting 'Open Link in New Tab' does what it says.

Using FF (whatever the current version is) the same actions opens the page in the same window.

Will have a look at the link you provided; thanks.

Rex

In my main browser (FF2.0.2) clicking on any link opens in a new tab.
    Then you probably have an addon to do that. I installed a clean FF2.0.0.16 (no addons) and it opens weblinks on the same tab. Like I said, if you MIDDLE CLICK the link, then it creates a new tab.

It would help if you listed the addons you are running in FF2.

No Tab Add-Ons in my FF 2.0.2; just Tools/Prefs/Tabs, New Pages Should Be Opened - In New Tab.

Following your suggestions, my VM version of FF17 now appears to be behaving as I want it. Tried Tab Mix Plus and it certainly adds a lot of things, but I also appears to change things that I am not happy with. My home page no longer loads by default, back button on the mouse does not work . I'll play with it a bit longer.

Rex

Quote Originally Posted by Rex A. Butcher View Post
    Hi there, ... ... ... I am playing with the current version ... ... ... ... Thanks Rex
    Which Firefox version is "the current version", v18.0?

BTW was not it the "Hokey Pokey" that I danced to in the 1950s?

This link tells us more than we ever thought was possible about a silly song; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hokey_cokey

Are you using the correct action/link?

For an unknown (a.k.a. "weird") reason the FF peeps keep changing the location of the "Open in a new tab" and "Open in a new window" link. Doan axe me why, but they do.

I must learn some new techniques/actions with every new FF issue. I've complained but to no avail.

Using version 18.0.1.

It does some other things that I find strange. I set my default background colour to a pale blue, rather than try to read anything on the visual mess that most web page designer think I need. Black copy on a pale b/g. Links are in blue and and visited links change to red. Or that is what happens on my daily working FF2.0.

But v18. page colour and blue links are correct but having visited a page, the link stays as blue. Additionally, there seems to be no way to save search terms. With v2.0. I have the Google search box and all search terms are saved as s list that I can go back to and/or delete as necessary. With 18, search terms are a one way ride. Or am I missing something?

Rex

Not weird, just an upgrade, eh?

Not weird, just an upgrade, eh? I have only had items saved two ways; The automatic saving of everything in the "History" button of the Menu Bar, and if I save a page/site in the "Bookmarks" button, nothing else.

I've used from v3.6.28 up. Each "improvement" alters the previous version with no obvious benefit to the user. IMO, v2 ought to be the current version, and ought be "perfect" after years of "fixing" errors.

I remember a programer instruction from my early daze in the Federal Aviation Agency (now Administration) in Indianapolis, IN, USA with an IBM RAMAC 650 monster; K.I.S.S.
    Keep It Simple, Stupid! We had a top programmer that was assigned the task of coordinating all "corrections" starting in '63 or '64, due to the many errors programmer 3 would make that would adversely effect the area assigned to programmer 8, 9, and/or 11, each of whom might damage instructions designed by programmer 3, 4, and or 5, et cetera ad infinitum. Is this what is going on at Mozilla?

EDIT; P.S. I keep going back to v 3.6.28 as I'm accustomed to it and disgusted I must alter "ingrained" habits developed over years. I cheque out the new version hoping it shall function as 'my' 3.6.28 duz.
    Last edited by CincyJim; January 28th, 2013 at 02:47 PM.

Based on my 74 years experience, the Hokey Cokey/Hokey Pokey IS whut it is all about; a buncha non-sense, so just have fun!

As for the Search History, check your Tools-Options-Privacy settings. Under the History section, choose Remember History.

For the link colors, Try Tools-Options-Content-Colors. Uncheck Allow Pages to choose their own colors.

Remember History is checked but I have no idea where one actually finds the history. Likewise, the directions for Link Colours; that is what I have been using for years but v18 (and the two before) do not do what I ask.

One of the two attachments shows the search history from v2.0.0.2. All I have to do is click the arrow at the right of the Google search box and the list appears. Personally, I find it very useful, which is one of the reasons I have not upgraded but am trialling the recent version on a VM.

OK, there are no attachments as I no longer seem to be able to up-load VDR.

Rex

When you are logged in to VDr, click Settings, then Attachments, and you can manage your Attachments. There is a limit on how much storage you can use for them, so you might have to delete some old ones.

Search suggestions should appear after you type the first letter in the search bar. Make sure that Search suggestions is enabled too.
    http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/...-in-search-bar

Thread Information