Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Adobe Flash Plug-in Constantly Crashes in Firefox

Resolved [RESOLVED] Adobe Flash Plug-in Constantly Crashes in Firefox

Using:
    Windows 7 64 Bit
    Firefox 17.0.1
    Shockwave Flash 11.5.502.110
    Adobe Flash Plug-in 11 (I think?)

I feel as if I could pull my hair out, I am so frustrated! The reason I listed my Adobe Flash Plug-in as a "I think" is because if I have it installed then I do not see it in my list of plug-ins in Firefox. I have looked everywhere for a listing of it and only Revo uninstaller has it listed when I open Revo up. I know for a fact that I installed it because I just got so tired of it always crashing that I uninstalled it last week and then went to Adobe's site and clicked on "Latest version" to re-download it. I figured if I uninstalled the Adobe Flash Plug-in that i had and then installed the latest version I would not have this problem any more. But today everywhere that I went (even You-Tube) I could not play anything because I would get a pop-up window stating that my Adobe Flash plug-in had crashed--and to reload the page--which I did. And it did not help. I have sent hundreds of crash reports in over a period of time about this problem and that never helped either. I also looked in my program's list and the Adobe Flash plug-in was not listed there either. You would think if I had downloaded it that it would be listed somewhere. I thought when I downloaded it for the version of the browser I had (FF), that it would show up as a plug-in in the Plug-in list. The funny thing about downloading it is that at the time when I downloaded it, it took Adobe 30 minutes to find out what it needed to know before allowing me to download it. I have never known any software program to take that long just to start the download.

Any ideas what else I can try. Is there any thing different I can use instead of Adobe Flash plug in that will work just as well to watch videos and movies on the Internet?

Thanks,
    Sheila

gypsy63--You should find the Flash Player Plug In under "Adobe Flash Player 11 Plug In" in Control Panel|Programs and Features. The version number is also given. I have version 11.5.502.110. There is a later version, but indeed have heard that version of Adobe Flash Player is causing problems with IE.
    Try uninstalling by using http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/...r-windows.html
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Welshjim: I went and looked where you told me to and I have the exact same version that you have. The Adobe link that you gave to me to go to to uninstall the Adobe Flash plug-in that I have, is Adobe better at uninstalling than Revo Uninstaller? I ask because Revo gets rid of everything when you use it to uninstall--including the registry keys for that program. And it was Revo that I used when I uninstalled Adobe Flash Plug-in last week. Also, I noticed in the directions on the Adobe's site, that it says before you uninstall to get rid of everything in the task bar that uses Flash. When it states to close everything in the task bar, is it referring to where you pin short cuts--such as my Bejeweled game? Everything that I have pinned there are only short cuts. And one last question. Should not the Adobe Flash plug-in show up in my Firefox where it lists all the plug-ins?

I will await your answer while I go and eat supper. That is what took me so long to get back here, I had to cook supper first.
    Thanks,
    Sheila

I've been using 11.5.502.135 on FF17.0.1 and it seems to be stable. I don't use IE unless I have to.
    Did you download the installer or install through the browser? I usually download the exe.

Uninstall Flash first, then download the Flash for plugin browsers.
    http://download.macromedia.com/get/f..._11_plugin.exe

You may also want to disable the plugin-container in FF. I did that several versions ago.
    http://www.faqforge.com/uncategorize...er-in-firefox/

OK, Midknyte, I went to the last link you listed first to see what a "plug-in container" was. If I am understanding the article correctly, this means that the Plug-in Container is the part where I go into: Tools, Add-ons, and see what plug-ins that FF has? This is called a container? It sounds to me as I read this article that because FF plug-ins are inside of this container that it makes FF unstable. Quote from the article:

With the implementation of the plugin-container, the plugins are separated from the browser process, making it more stable. Now if a plugin crashes, Firefox remains unharmed.
    It is known however that this feature causes serious performance issues with many users, that’s why it might be a good idea to test what happens if you deactivate plugin-container (the plugins are not disabled that way, they are just stitched to the main process again).
    This part of the article is confusing to me because it sounds as if at first it is stating that by having plug-ins in a container it makes the browser more stable--but then right afterward it states that it can cause serious performance issues.

Regardless of which it is, stable or unstable, my Adobe Flash plug-in is not listed in the container so how can it cause any kind of issue if it is not in the container if what the above article states is true? So I am confused about what I should do or not to do. Do I follow the directions to disable the container or not since my flash plug-in is not listed in it?

When you stated:
    You may also want to disable the plugin-container in FF. I did that several versions ago.
    did you mean that you disabled the whole container in FF for a long time now--that you no longer have plug-ins as being listed in FF?

Thanks,
    Sheila

No, it is not in the Addons menu. It will not help you if Flash isn't listed.

Plugin-container.exe is to separate plugin processes so that if one process crashes, it doesn't take down all of Firefox. If you had multiple websites open and one page with flash-content crashes, the others should theoretically remain open. If you open up task manager with Firefox open, you'll see Firefox.exe and plugin-container.exe.

Another way to describe it is "sandboxing". Isolating the plugin processes from the main Firefox process.

Midknyte: When Adobe Flash Plug-in crashes in my browser, nothing happens to my browser. My browser stays open and any other tabs which may be open at the time. The only thing that happens, is that the video that I just tried to watch, crashes and then I only see a blank spot where the video use to be--no video showing. So are you thinking that my whole browser crashes along with the flash plug--that it collapses? My browser never closes because the flash plug crashed--just the video won't show.
    Sheila

When Adobe Flash Plug-in crashes in my browser, nothing happens to my browser. My browser stays open and any other tabs which may be open at the time.
    Yes, that's what is supposed to happen with plugin-container enabled.

So are you thinking that my whole browser crashes along with the flash plug--that it collapses?
    No. It's the exact opposite. If you were to disable plugin-container, then Firefox may completely crash as well.

Some people have had issues with plugin-container.exe before. Separating Firefox and plugins sounds like a good idea, but it can cause problems as well. I was merely suggesting you disable plugin-container to see if that helps.

You still didn't answer the first part of my post. How did you install Flash? Did you try installing the latest version from an .exe like I said?

It's also possible that an addon you have is causing issues with Flash. What addons do you have?

Did you try running Firefox with Addons disabled? Go to Help - Restart with Add-ons Disabled

Midknyte: After I read your last post, I went back to my download folder to find where I saved the Adobe flash plug-in and it was not there. Normally I don't just run a program--I always save it to my download folder and then before I double click on it to install, I run all my security programs on it first--anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc. programs to make sure it is safe before I install it. That is why I am surprised that I don't see anything about it in my download folder. And now that I try to think back what I did, I don't remember--had some things going on here at the house and might have gotten distracted. So by not having saved the download file, does this answer your question on how I installed it? I am sorry I don't understand what you mean by did I install by an .exe? Please excuse my ignorance--I just know that I usually download and install the way I just described to you. And I keep the downloaded files in my folder just in case I need to re-install again.

Does installing by .exe mean that I saved the download file, or does it mean that I just selected the option to install without saving the file?
    Thanks,
    Sheila

So by not having saved the download file, does this answer your question on how I installed it? I am sorry I don't understand what you mean by did I install by an .exe?
    You can either install Flash directly in the browser or you can download a file (exe = executable file).

If you saw a popup message that said "Additional plugins are required..." and you clicked "Install Missing Plugins", then you probably installed directly in the browser.

If you went to the Adobe site and downloaded the .exe file (from the link I provided in post #4), and ran the install_flash_player_11_plugin.exe, that's what I mean by an .exe install.

Try uninstalling your current Flash as Welshjim said. Then download the installer from this link:.
    http://download.macromedia.com/get/f..._11_plugin.exe

You can go to this site to check if Flash is installed properly:
    http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/...sh-player.html

Midknyte: I didn't see any message saying I needed to install a missing plug-in. But since there was no download in my folder, I suspect I must have directly installed the program by running it instead of saving the file.

I will do as you instructed and post back here. The last time I downloaded and installed this program (last week), Adobe showed me a site afterwards that said Flash was installed and showed me a graphic spinning around.
    Sheila

Midknyte: Would you take a look at the link that Welshjim provided for me to uninstall Adobe Flash? I did everything in the instructions until I got to the following part:

Follow step 1 to step 3 for the following:
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash
    %appdata%\Adobe\Flash Player
    %appdata%\Macromedia\Flash Player

4. Verify that uninstallation is complete
    When I got to the part that said follow steps 1-3, that did not make sense to me because I had just uninstalled Adobe Flash by following those steps, so why would I follow instructions 1-3 to uninstall it again? Instead, it sounds like what it meant was to copy and paste each one of those other things also into Start>Run? Sorry about the continued confusion on my part.
    Sheila

It is 2 AM here where I live so I am going to bed now. I will check back here some time tomorrow to find out what I need to do about those final steps that I posted about. I have several appointments out of town tomorrow so it may be some time later in the evening before I will able to get back on my computer.
    Good night,
    Sheila

Hope you're able to rest. Sorry if I flooded your brain.

They mean ABC instead of Step 1-3. So do Step 3 > part 3 > a, b, and c for the folders listed. Basically go to those folders and delete any files in them.

a. Choose Start > Run.
    b. Copy and paste the following and click OK. C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash
    c. Delete all the files in this folder.

Follow step a to step b for the following: (substituting the following lines in step b)
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash
    %appdata%\Adobe\Flash Player
    %appdata%\Macromedia\Flash Player

%appdata% points to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming

Thread Information