[RESOLVED] Failure configuring Windows update . . . - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Failure configuring Windows update . . .

I have an Asus laptop which came with W7 any ways on their site ( download section ) it mention for my model to uninstall nVidia display driver before upgrading to windows 8 . So what I did was uninstalled pretty much everything before I did my upgrade . Afterwards I just installed all the drivers for 8 and haven't had a single problem .
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ( clean )

I have an Asus laptop which came with W7 any ways on their site ( download section ) it mention for my model to uninstall nVidia display driver before upgrading to windows 8 . So what I did was uninstalled pretty much everything before I did my upgrade . Afterwards I just installed all the drivers for 8 and haven't had a single problem .
    Good advice. Thanks for sharing.
    J.
    Cooler Master Elite 430
    Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
    Intel Core i5 2500K, 3.30 GHz
    ADATA 8 GB DDR3
    EVGA GTX 560 1GB PCIe
    Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM
    P/S: Corsair GS800
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
    . . . by Digital Storm

Any time I hope it helps
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ( clean )

I had the same issue with a toshiba laptop that was on 7x64 and upgraded to 8x64

it was the video driver

specifically the radeon hd 6310 driver

I removed and deleted it, then let it grab the stock one from microsoft and bam everything was good

I also had a simaler issue with a asus laptop and a nvidia 560m

I find that even tho the 7 driver will install and say its ok, it really isnt

you need a Windows 8 Signed Driver for graphics or there is gonna be issues.

I have the same problem.

Amasing that in this day and age and with the possibilities and budgets that Microsoft must have, they still will not polish their products before putting them up for sale.

If by "polished" you mean looks, who gets to decide when it looks "polished" enough? What looks polished to you may not to someone else.

If you meant they need to solve all potential bugs, it would be impossible for anyone, including Microsoft, to test every single solitary possible combination of hardware, software and all of the various versions available out there. To top that off, there are even more new and updated versions released daily. There is no telling how long a project like that might take, (who get's to decide when it's done?). And, the cost would be beyond astronomical.
    Last edited by SpywareDr; January 3rd, 2013 at 04:55 PM.

then let it grab the stock one from microsoft and bam everything was good
    After I removed the nVidia driver and rebooted and installed the updates, Windows Update tried to do the same thing on my rig. The installation of the "generic" video driver repeatedly failed. I reinstalled the same driver version from the nVidia website I had before and then had no problems. I think it was the installation in the Windows 8 environment that made the difference.
    J.
    Cooler Master Elite 430
    Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
    ADATA 8 GB DDR3
    EVGA GTX 560 1GB PCIe
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
    . . . by Digital Storm

Hi, good night.
    DO EXACTLY WHAT termybug SAID. It worked very well. But it will take several times, depending on how many updates you have. I had 15 and I spent almost 5 hours.

Thumbs up You are a hero

Quote Originally Posted by jseidel View Post
    After another 4 hour session with MS chat and remote access we got all of the updates to install by removing the nVidia display driver. That was causing the conflict. I have never had any trouble with nVidia drivers before this. So everyone can learn from my experience the nVidia display driver is 306.97 and the problem updates are shown below:
    Your posts have saved the day. I was experiencing the same issue and now the problem is fixed. I don't think I could have handled 8 hours with the support desk. (After having to do so on a tanlet problem.) Again, great posts with all the right info. I am so grateful you took the time to share the solution.

Your posts have saved the day. I was experiencing the same issue and now the problem is fixed. I don't think I could have handled 8 hours with the support desk. (After having to do so on a tanlet problem.) Again, great posts with all the right info. I am so grateful you took the time to share the solution.
    You are most welcome. That's what this forum is for and why Virtual Dr. is such a great resource.
    J.
    Cooler Master Elite 430
    Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
    ADATA 8 GB DDR3
    EVGA GTX 560 1GB PCIe
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
    . . . by Digital Storm

Quote Originally Posted by jseidel View Post
    My take on this is that the nVidia display driver that is carried over from Windows 7 causes the conflict. Hopefully after re-installing the driver in the Windows 8 environment the update problems will not occur. The next round of updates may tell the story . . . I am also somewhat suspicious of the Creative sound driver for the same reason. The sound driver also was taken off, the updates installed, and then put back on. With a clean install of Windows 8, this probably would not happen. MS tech support and I tried installing the updates one at a time and that worked for most of them except for the two listed above. Nothing would get them to configure and install until the nVidia display driver was removed.
    J.
    HOW AND AT WHAT POINT DO YOU REINSTALL THE NVIDIA DRIVER IN WINDOWS 8?

can somebody help me with this problem please! I tried everything and for some reason I can't get windows updates.
    help help!!

can somebody help me with this problem please! I tried everything and for some reason I can't get windows updates.
    help help!!
    Remove the nVidia display driver and all nVidia components in Programs and Features in Control Panel. Reboot. Your machine should present the display in VGA mode after reboot. Everything on the screen will be huge. If queried to install a driver after reboot, close the window . . . do not install the driver. Go to Control Panel, then Windows Update. Install all applicable updates EXCEPT optional updates, in particular DO NOT install any nVidia updates. Reboot and continue until all Microsoft required updates are installed. It may take a few reboots and tries to get them all installed. Finally install the optional nVidia display driver when all the others are done.
    Just FYI, lots of problems with nVidia display drivers newer than version 314.22 on video cards with chips in the 500 series and below. If you have a 500 series or older card, like mine, and choose to install drivers from nVidia or the manufacturer of your card you may run into more problems with newer display drivers numbered above 314.22. This version seems to work best on cards in the 500 series and below.
    For nVidia cards with 600 and 700 series chips, or Tesla newer drivers are recommended and you may want to get them from the website of the manufacturer of the card.
    J.
    Last edited by jseidel; August 15th, 2013 at 09:08 PM.
    Cooler Master Elite 430
    Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
    ADATA 8 GB DDR3
    EVGA GTX 560 1GB PCIe
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
    . . . by Digital Storm

Hello folks, Glad you were all able to sort this. I'm just stuck in the Failure Configuring screen, went out for a walk and then to church, so it's been at this now for 5 or 6 hours and has not gone beyond it into any of the other following on options that you all mention above. I've switched it off a couple of times now just using the power button, but it goes straight back to the configuring screen and then to the Failure configuring screen. Utterly stuck in a loop, any ideas anyone?

Thanku

Try booting into the Safe Mode:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/107511/how-...-the-easy-way/
    One can usually catch it after a try or two if not on the first try. Once in the Safe Mode, remove the nVidia or ATI display driver in Control Panel, Programs and Features, then uninstall. You don't mention your system specs so I can only guess. Other software may be causing the updates to fail. While in the Safe mode, look in Windows Update in Control Panel and see what updates are failing or have not installed. As a last resort, you may have to do a clean install of Windows. If you do, install all updates to current before you update any display drivers . . . even Intel integrated graphics drivers have been known to cause this.
    J.
    Cooler Master Elite 430
    Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
    ADATA 8 GB DDR3
    EVGA GTX 560 1GB PCIe
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
    . . . by Digital Storm

Thread Information