[RESOLVED] Failure configuring Windows update . . .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Failure configuring Windows update . . .

Resolved [RESOLVED] Failure configuring Windows update . . .

Installed Windows 8 Pro upgrade, going from Windows 7, both 64 bit, yesterday. Installation went fine and everything seems to be working. I needed to restart this evening and received the message "Installing update 2 of 11, (etc.) Do not unplug or turn off your computer. Didn't touch anything for the time until it completed all 11 updates. Reboots and then presents with message: "Failure configuring Windows update. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer" The whole process took about 30 minutes before I was back to the lock screen and could log in.
    Went to Windows Update in Control Panel and it says there are 11 important updates available, which would be right because they did not install. So, I simply rebooted. . . nothing more. Received message "Installing update 2 of 11 . . . " as before, reboots and then get the message: "Failure configuring Windows update. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer" all over again for another 30 minutes.
    Any idea where to look that might be causing the problem? Anyone else had this experience?
    TIA
    J.
    Cooler Master Elite 430
    Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
    Intel Core i5 2500K, 3.30 GHz
    ADATA 8 GB DDR3
    EVGA GTX 560 1GB PCIe
    Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM
    P/S: Corsair GS800
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
    . . . by Digital Storm

This is what shows in Control Panel:
    Cooler Master Elite 430
    Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
    ADATA 8 GB DDR3
    EVGA GTX 560 1GB PCIe
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
    . . . by Digital Storm

May want to try:

Type in msconfig.exe and hit enter, go to the Services tab on the top, check the box on the bottom that says hide all Microsoft services, click ‘Disable all,’ restart the computer and try installing updates. After installation follow the same instructions but click enable all instead of disable all and restart again.
    Please do not use "PM" for personal help, post in forum so everybody can learn

I did the first step and rebooted but when the computer came back up all services and everything was rechecked and running again? I will try to do this without rebooting.
    Jim
    Cooler Master Elite 430
    Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
    ADATA 8 GB DDR3
    EVGA GTX 560 1GB PCIe
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
    . . . by Digital Storm

Did what you said, all the same. No joy.
    Cooler Master Elite 430
    Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
    ADATA 8 GB DDR3
    EVGA GTX 560 1GB PCIe
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
    . . . by Digital Storm

Well, I did the online chat with MS support. I am impressed with the gentleman I got and he was able to remote in to my PC and successfully install 9 of 13 updates, one at a time. The key was to start 4 Windows services and he left me the procedure in notepad:
    The steps would be going to start screen and typing services.msc
    Hit enter.
    Search for Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
    Right click Background Intelligent then click start.
    Same goes with Cryptographic Services.
    The third service is Windows Modules Installer.
    The fourth is Windows Update.
    It is important not to touch other services aside from the 4, because there is a possibility that your computer will not boot after restart.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    But 3 other updates failed to install after reboot and I got the same message as above in the original post over and over. Would you believe I spent 4 1/2 hours doing this chat without resolution. They will call back tomorrow after escalating my issue to "Level 2" so stay tuned.
    I'm convinced if you want to upgrade to Windows 8 a clean install is the way to go. Not impressed with the upgrade of Windows 7 where you take everything with you. What a horrendous ordeal with Windows Update. Never had any problems like this before. My entire afternoon was spent trying to install updates and I'm still not there. One PC publication not so subtly predicts that the business community will migrate to Linux with the advent of Windows 8. I totally get it.
    J.
    Cooler Master Elite 430
    Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
    ADATA 8 GB DDR3
    EVGA GTX 560 1GB PCIe
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
    . . . by Digital Storm

After another 4 hour session with MS chat and remote access we got all of the updates to install by removing the nVidia display driver. That was causing the conflict. I have never had any trouble with nVidia drivers before this. So everyone can learn from my experience the nVidia display driver is 306.97 and the problem updates are shown below:
    Cooler Master Elite 430
    Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
    ADATA 8 GB DDR3
    EVGA GTX 560 1GB PCIe
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
    . . . by Digital Storm

Thanks for the update. Glad you got the issue resolved.

i got the updates to download by going to the control panel, clicking on system and security, then windows updates.
    ------ manually select each update starting with the oldest published date. you can also just look for the oldest one alphabetically/numerically (kb2737084....then KB2761226) for example...
    so far all of them have been able to install as long as they manually get downloaded in order, one by one

My take on this is that the nVidia display driver that is carried over from Windows 7 causes the conflict. Hopefully after re-installing the driver in the Windows 8 environment the update problems will not occur. The next round of updates may tell the story . . . I am also somewhat suspicious of the Creative sound driver for the same reason. The sound driver also was taken off, the updates installed, and then put back on. With a clean install of Windows 8, this probably would not happen. MS tech support and I tried installing the updates one at a time and that worked for most of them except for the two listed above. Nothing would get them to configure and install until the nVidia display driver was removed.
    J.
    Last edited by jseidel; December 7th, 2012 at 06:58 PM.
    Cooler Master Elite 430
    Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
    ADATA 8 GB DDR3
    EVGA GTX 560 1GB PCIe
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
    . . . by Digital Storm

I was hopeful this thread would solve my similar problems. I have a Lenovo Q150 that I use as a HTPC which is failing certain updates and reverting back the updates. Each time this process takes about 30 min. I'm also running the same nvidia driver version.

After spending hours on this with partial success, I decided to turn off windows updates altogether. I only use this PC for playing movies. Maybe I'll try again in a few months.

Oh and this was a clean Windows 8 installation.

Oh and this was a clean Windows 8 installation.
    That's discouraging to hear. This is so frustrating and takes so much time . . .
    Cooler Master Elite 430
    Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
    ADATA 8 GB DDR3
    EVGA GTX 560 1GB PCIe
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
    . . . by Digital Storm

Quote Originally Posted by jseidel View Post
    ...the nVidia display driver that is carried over from Windows 7 causes the conflict. Hopefully after re-installing the driver in the Windows 8 environment the update problems will not occur....
    This fixed the problem for me. Thank you for the suggestion!

This fixed the problem for me. Thank you for the suggestion!
    You are welcome. Hopefully you didn't spend 8 hours with MS tech support because you saw this first.
    J.
    Cooler Master Elite 430
    Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
    ADATA 8 GB DDR3
    EVGA GTX 560 1GB PCIe
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
    . . . by Digital Storm

Thread Information