C:\Users is Shared

Thread: C:\Users is Shared

C:\Users is Shared

I just notice that C:\Users folder is shared (I've never noticed that before thanks to Microsoft's decision to take away the shared folder icon in Win7).

I myself have never (and have no reason) to shared this folder. Is this folder folder shared by default? Can I un-share it?

C:\Users gets shared if you share a child folder. If you don't have multiple user profiles, you can try going into Share permissions - Advanced and uncheck sharing.

The NTFS permissions are read for the Everyone group by default. Note that your profile folders do not inherit the permissions of the Users folder. Remember that permissions over the network are the MOST restrictive combination of Share and NTFS permissions. So even if someone can access Users, they should not be able to access your profile folder.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...=ws.10%29.aspx

Honestly, after I read the article I still don't understand the logics behind this.

I don't see any child folder or file being shared in there.
    And, even though the article says,
    With the Access-based Enumeration feature enabled, users accessing the share are only shown the content they have access to over SMB and everything else is hidden from them.
    But from another computer in the network, I actually see everything under C:\Users\<user name>.

I've un-share C:\Users. So far there doesn't seems to be any problem.

Thread Information