Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCIe 1.0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCIe 1.0

Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCIe 1.0

I have an HP Desktop H8 - 1110 T with Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium and audio by Beats on the motherboard (IDT). I am not to happy with the Beats audio why I ordered the above sound card. Before installing the HW I disabled in Device Mananger everything under Sound etc. This card requires according to Asus additional power using a floppy connector which I plugged in to the card. After completing the installation I powered the PC on but Windows 7 would not detect the new HW at all. This was confirmed under Sound in the Control Panel where it said "No audio device was detected. I then checked the BIOS to see if anything needed to changed but nothing which points to anything connected with audio. Installing the SW from the CD showed a message to plug in the card (which I did). This also indicates that the audio device was not detected.

Does anyone have some advice, or could it be that there is a compatibility issue?

Are you sure that there is power being supplied to the floppy drive power connector attached to the card? If that was faulty, or not supplying the proper voltage or current, that could be the cause of the issue.

Absolutely sure. If you think, how I can check this, please let me know. I Checked the card on another HP desktop from 2006 with W XP and it detected the card alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertfox View Post

how I can check this

Multimeter: Yellow +12 VDC, Red +5 VDC, Black Ground.

Since we know the card works in another PC, that leaves the power connector or the PCIe slot in the computer where it is not working as possible problems.

I found that at the start the Beats SW alsao starts. Maybe that is the reason or may have something to do with it. So far I used two of the three free slots. So what I will do, is to disabble two things: disable the HW in Device Manager, and also prevent the Beats SW from starting up, and then install the HW in the third slot.

If this does not work at all. Then something is wrong with three things: a) the card itself, b) with the PCIe slots.

PHP Code:
     athe card itself 
    You said the card worked in another computer so that shouldn't be the problem.
    Biostar TA790GX A2+ 6.0
    AMD Phenom X4 9750 CPU.
    4 Gig DDR2 Memory.
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    500 Watt P.S.
    LG W2241T Widescreen 22" LCD
    ViewSonic VA721 17" LCD
    Envision 17" LCD
    2 LG DVD Drives
    Floppy Disk Drive
    Maxtor 120 Gig Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
    Gateway NV5378-U Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    Acer Aspire V3-731 Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by Desertfox View Post

b) with the PCIe slots.

or with the floppy power lead.

Have you checked the voltage as suggested in Post #4?
    Biostar TA790GX A2+ 6.0
    AMD Phenom X4 9750 CPU.
    4 Gig DDR2 Memory.
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    500 Watt P.S.
    ViewSonic VA721 17" LCD
    Envision 17" LCD
    2 LG DVD Drives
    Floppy Disk Drive

No did not have a chance since I do not have such a meter. I am sorry. Have no one in the neighborhood who can help.
    My next check is the third slot I have not used yet though it makes it abit akward to get the card in because it is too near to some plugs at the edge of the mobo.

I tried all three slots with the result that the card is not being detected at all. So, there are three possibilities: a) there is no power in the floppy connector, b) something is wrong with the slots, c) something on the card does not work or the whole card is not working.

To point a): Unfortunately I have no meter to measure this but I will try to buy one. However. I connected the the floppy connector cable to a normal connector where the cables came out of the connector for the hard drive and from the power supply. I cannot imagine that the hard drive gets the power while the floppy connector does not get power. In my opinion this is the most unlikely source for the failure.

To point b): It is also very unlikely all three slots are not working. If this were the case, the whole motherboard would be faulty, and I have never heard of a case that slots are not working but the motherboard does.

To point c This is a possibility but I cannot imagine that a completely new card is not working or parts of it. The card must have been checked for working order after it came off production. I do not have any means to check it. I could ask the vendor to take the card back and return a another one. However, if the latter happens and the same happens again, then it is not the card.

I must add here that I disabled the IDT High Definition audio CODEC in Device Manager, which did not make a difference. Also an update of the BIOS did not either.

One question remains namely that of compatibility. I cannot answer this one but if that were the case perhaps no other card would work either, I guess.

If the card AND the floppy power cable adapter both worked in another computer, then you know that the card works. If the power cable you used in the problem computer powers a hard drive, then you know that it is supplying power. That leaves either the CPIe slots or the motherboard drivers for them, or maybe the BIOS as possible problem areas.

I may have missed this--but--when you checked tthe card in another computer did you use the same adapter as you're now using in the problem computer? If not it still could be that adapter, just because it powers a hard drive doesn't prove power is getting to the floppy connector--could be a broken wire or bad connection in that part of the adapter. You proved the card itself is good so I wouldn't bother sending it back. jdc2000 mentioned the Motherboard drivers--have you re-installed them?
    Biostar TA790GX A2+ 6.0
    AMD Phenom X4 9750 CPU.
    4 Gig DDR2 Memory.
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    500 Watt P.S.
    ViewSonic VA721 17" LCD
    Envision 17" LCD
    2 LG DVD Drives
    Floppy Disk Drive

Yes I did. But today I bought a multimeter to check the connectore for the current. Now the adapter is also brand new, was in the box with the card. So I can check this with the multimeter too. I aslso used a floppy connector readily available from the power supply. I tried three times to install the drivers which are on the CD that came with the card. As I mentioned above, the setup checks whether the card has additional powerplugged in and shows this with a message. If power were supplied the message would not appear and the card would show up in Device Manager and Sound in the CPL. Once I checked the power and there is none, is there a possibility that the power supply does not get enough power out. I have been looking for switches etc but cannot find anything. Unfortunately, I do not have a geek here who could look into the problem. Maybe a replacement of the card would help. I got it from Amazon and they are pretty in this.

Thread Information