Sony VCR SLV-ED1 RF interference

Thread: Sony VCR SLV-ED1 RF interference

Sony VCR SLV-ED1 RF interference

Sony VCR model SLV-ED1 can record and playback perfectly on another vcr machine but shows horizontal lines interference if played on the same machine. Both the above playbacks are done using RF signal. The preset channels from the problem vcr also show horizontal lines interference. Please advise.

First thing I always look at with RF problems is cabling. If you can, replace the RF cable with another. Also try moving the cable around esp so that it does not run near any electrical cabling and if it absolutely must try setting it up so that it does not run parallel with any of them... crossing it over other cables at 90 degrees is recommended.

Use as short a cable as you can and there can be very noticeable differences using good quality vs cheap quality cabling.

Another easy thing to try is to set the VCR to play back on your TV's ch 4 instead of ch 3.. nearly all VCR's have that option. Better yet, if you can, use the composite output instead (RCA video and stereo RCA audio)

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

I am sorry if I did not explain well. I have tested using this sony VCR to record program thru VCR tuner, the playback shows interference on TV using this sony machine but works fine when I swap to another VCR without changing set up, TV or any cable. The only thing I can suspect is the RF output from the sony VCR. Please guide me to remedy this. Thank you

If the existing cables work OK on another machine, then it is possible that the Sony VCR has a fault in the section that sends the signal through the coax cable. If this is the case, then it is likely not worth repairing, as the cost would lilely be more than that of a new VCR. However, you could try fink's suggestion of sending the video and audio signals out through a different set of output jacks. You would need some different cables for this, but they are not very expensive and if it works, you would be able to continue to use the VCR.

There is a manual available at the link below, and page 15 has info on the connections to use.

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/SLVD271P.pdf

From my experience using the alternative connecting jacks (composite/RCA) also gives you slightly better video and audio quality as well even if the RF connection isn't being problematic. Some older TV's don't have that input ability though.

Appreciate the solutions given by both of you. Wonder if you can suggest someone or another forum whom/where I can refer if I still choose to use the existing RF output. Perhaps someone who can identify the fault which I hope to repair myself. Thank you.

This looks like a busy place...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/pvrs-vcrs/

It's been around a while.

Doing a google search for "repair VCR"

gets some results.. like..

http://www.fixitclub.com/Electronics...rder_VCR.shtml

Thread Information