Why won't my PS3 play 3D movies?

Thread: Why won't my PS3 play 3D movies?

Why won't my PS3 play 3D movies?

I recently purchased a LG 55"3D Smart TV and was looking forward to watching some 3D movies. I have a PS3 (120gb version) that I haven't had a bit of trouble with since I've owned it. I went to my local video store and rented Wrath of the Titans and The Avengers. When I started, I made sure to upgrade the firmware on my PS3 to the latest version. I started with The Avengers. I fed the disc in and about 20 seconds later the PS3 makes a noise like it is ejecting the disc. But it doesn't and the disc never shows up in the Video list. I did the same thing with the Wrath disc with the same results, but after trying it several times, it finally showed up in the list and played normally. Unfortunately, I never did get The Avengers disc to show up or play. Is there some sort of protection on the disc to prevent it from playing on the PS3? Is there something I'm missing that I need to do to get 3D discs to play? Thanks in advance for any help.

It even could have been a bad disk too.

Run into that several times over the years.

I think I figured out the solution. The trick is to not turn on the PS3 first and then feed in the disc. You have to leave the PS3 turned off and feed the disc in and let it boot up in this manner. Not sure why it works that way, but it does.

Just dropped back in to say that my "solution" was really not one after all. It seems as though it makes it more likely to actually have the disc show up in the Video list, but still not certain and more often than not, it doesn't. Can't understand why if this PS3 will eventually play the disc perfectly, it doesn't all the time. Any more ideas?

Still struggling with this issue. Now I come to find that it's Blu-Ray disks in genera it doesn't like. I have tried several that played fine in the past but now won't show up in the Video list when I insert them. Others seem to work fine the first few times, then they aren't recognized either. Games seem to work fine.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Did you try cleaning the disk player with a cd/dvd cleaner disk?

I appreciate the response, Train, but I doubt that's the issue. This is very perplexing to me as I've read that all games are Blu-Ray disks and they ALWAYS read correctly and show up in the Game column when inserted. It's just Blu-Ray movies that aren't being read correctly and then, it's spotty. Some usually show up, some never do. As I said, some movies that I have watched in the previous six months, now can't be processed by the PS3. I have read that the laser can deteriorate over time, so I may try to replace it.

Have you tried a lens cleaner cd.?
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Endust-Blu...eaner/15406472

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    I told him that he needs to do that in my post, but I guess he ignored what I said. LOL

I actually took the PS3 apart and cleaned the lens, to no avail. I am going to buy a new blu-ray lens and install it. Hopefully that will solve my issue.

The best thing to do is either speak to PS3 or your TV manufacturer, in that order.

have a look here on ps3 setting

and do u have a 3d - 2d or auto setting on your tv

I am going to buy a new blu-ray lens and install it. Hopefully that will solve my issue.

Thread Information