[RESOLVED] No Sound

Thread: [RESOLVED] No Sound

Resolved [RESOLVED] No Sound

Hi there,

have been fixing up a new (well, second hand) computer for my wife as her previous one died. The new machine is a Dell Optiplex 745 running XP Pro from her salvaged HDD.

I downloaded and installed all the driver updates from Dell and everything seems fine with the exception of the speakers. Head phone socket works, but the rear speaker socket only produces a sound like listening to some on headphones. They are so quiet that in reality, one cannot hear sound at all.

What should I do next?

Thanks

Rex
    What if the Hokey Cokey IS what it's all about?

Which audio device drivers did you install? Is there a managment app like SoundMax?

Did you check the Sound settings in the Control Panel? Check the go to Volume - Speaker Settings - Advanced and see which type of speakers is selected.

Yep, it's SoundMax. Setting in Control Panel all say that everything is operating correctly. The following may be the problem; the speakers worked fine with the old computer but they only have a stereo lead. Perhaps I should get new speakers with stereo and USB, assuming the USB provides power?

But I don't know what I'm talking about, hence my signature!

the speakers worked fine with the old computer but they only have a stereo lead
    Do you mean unpowered aka passive speakers? Then yes, that's probably the issue. Other speakers would have an AC adapter for power.

Seems logical but why would they have been working on the previous computer?

It depends if the sound card has amplified output.

It's a built-in sound system with the socket on the back of mb. How do I know if it has amplification?

Plugging in speakers with a power supply would be a good test... If they work, you'll know for sure.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

If the sound hardware is on the motherboard, odds are there is little to no amplification provided.

It's a built-in sound system with the socket on the back of mb
    I haven't seen onboard audio with amplified output. Time to get a set of powered speakers.

Front headphone socket works with headphone plugged in. The two rear ones do not work with USB speakers although one of them causes sound from what I guess is the mb speaker.

Would an inexpensive PCI sound card produce sound from the speakers?

Are you sure you set up the usb speakers properly? They should use the usb for power and digital data. In Sounds/Audio Devices, did you select USB Audio Device?

You didn't say make/model, but check the manual for the appropriate settings.

Getting another sound card wouldn't help if you don't set up the speakers properly.

My XP pro does not have a USB Audio Device check box, or not that I can see. My computer, a Dell Dimension 9200, just plug the speaker into the socket and USB and set it as Desktop, and way we go. Done the same on the problem machine and no noise whatsoever, apart from the sound from the internal speaker, which I gues is ther to give the system beeps.

Did you go to Control Panel - Sound and Audio Devices - Audio and set the Default device to USB Audio?

If that option isn't listed, then make sure you installed the proper drivers for the USB speakers.

Again, you didn't state make/model of the speakers, so double-check the manufacturer's install guide.

I think that one of the USB connections on the back is not quite working and that was the one I was trying to use. Have a pair of Dell A225 speakers and they are not working well.

Thanks for the advice,

Rex

Thread Information