2012 Anti-Virus Vs. 2013 Anti-Virus programs

Thread: 2012 Anti-Virus Vs. 2013 Anti-Virus programs

Question 2012 Anti-Virus Vs. 2013 Anti-Virus programs

I need to renew my anti-virus program. I see on Cnet programs like the 2012 Bitedefender and 2012 Kaspersky editions are rated very high as well the free AVG.

With the new 2013 AV editions coming out I’ve found cheaper prices on Amazon for the 2012 editions. Do these companies find out enough AV info in one year to justify buying the latest version? If so, I don’t mind paying more to avoid any problems. Also, do the 2012 editions update to the most current?

The AVG free version was rated fairly high on Cnet. Is it really that good yet it’s free?

I just finished the COMODO free trial and it did find some malware where ESET didn’t. My old ESET NOD32 seemed to miss a lot of malicious file. No complaints with COMODO except I'm not sure how much power it takes from the CPU compared to others. Then again, you can't have your cake and eat it too. I do game a little on Steam with MW3 but very seldom multipalyer.

Lastly, I don’t want a program that will drag down my CPU (i7, 8GB RAM) like Norton is known for. I do have a LinkSys E2500 router for my laptop.

Thanks for any input!
    Mike

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    I would suggest this one:

Microsoft Security Essentials

I've been running this one for two years and it has never let any baddies into my computer. And it's free.

Thanks, I'll give a try.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mike2rc
    ... With the new 2013 AV editions coming out I’ve found cheaper prices on Amazon for the 2012 editions. Do these companies find out enough AV info in one year to justify buying the latest version? ...
    No need to concern yourself about whether it is 2012 or 2013 version of Kaspersky.
    So long as key is valid,
    Kaspersky permits you to download/use the most current version.

e.g.
    A number of people wait for the Kaspersky Internet Security 2011/2012 (for use w/ 3 pc's) to go on sale for about $20.00, then they download K.I.S. 2013 from their Kaspersky and activates/uses their K.I.S. 2011/2012 key.
    Cheers.

Thanks...that's good info! Is that just with Kaspersky or all other AV companies? I also see Bitedefender 2012 for $21.00.

I would prefer one that runs efficiently and doesn’t drag down the CPU.

Unable to comment.
    Not familiar with bitdefender, dealt with Kaspersky products for above process.

If set on bitdefender, you can consider their free version until you settle on one.
    Cheers.

Thread Information