merging bookmark lists or deleting duplicates

Thread: merging bookmark lists or deleting duplicates

merging bookmark lists or deleting duplicates

Hi, guys! I've been searching for two hours already, but couldn't find the solution I need. I have two huge bookmark lists from two different computers that I need to merge then remove duplicates. Without using an FTP/cloud/3rd party location (like Xmarks), what program can I use to do this?

The second solution I found was to just import the 2nd list to the first. However, I can't seem to find any program to delete duplicates?

For merging and comparing file folders, I use Beyond Compare and it's very easy to use, I was hoping for something like this. Unfortunately, I can't use it on these bookmark lists (regardless of format json/html).

Thanks for any help.

Which browser?

Odds are you'll just have to delete manually. (delete key or right click and delete)
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Assuming you are using IE on PC's, the bookmarks are just shortcuts. You can simply copy your bookmarks from the Favorites folder from one computer to the Favorites folder in another computer and just like copying and pasting any file, if the 2 shortcuts (bookmarks) have the exact same name, Windows will ask you whether you want to copy & replace with the duplicate or to not copying the duplicate. At the end you have a list with all the bookmarks w/o duplicates.

Otherwise, you can try Xmarks. It will syn. bookmarks across all browsers among all your web capable devices. (I tried it before. It does what it says it does, but I eventually stopped using for some reasons now I can't remember.)

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

@ Steve, sorry, forgot to mention them. Firefox on both computers. I literally have thousands of mostly work references/resources grouped into several folders, so was hoping there could be a auto program to do that for me?

@falcon, I installed xmarks, but it's an online sync.. and it was a bit complicated for me (not a techie) to get into it so I uninstalled it. I already have the 2 .json files, just don't know how to merge them on one computer.

@fink, when I upgraded my Firefox browser, that add-on grayed out as it was incompatible with the version I have, which is 13.0.1

@spywaredr - i tried to install in, but it says I need .net framework v2.0. When I click on the download button it goes to a microsoft page that "cannot be found". would you mind directing me to what exactly I need to download? This is just a plug in like java, right?

Thanks for the help!!

Update FF to 15.0.

Quote Originally Posted by advan View Post

@spywaredr - i tried to install in, but it says I need .net framework v2.0. When I click on the download button it goes to a microsoft page that "cannot be found". would you mind directing me to what exactly I need to download? This is just a plug in like java, right?
    The .NET Framework is included in Windows 7.

If you're running XP, visit Windows Update

More .NET info: Wikipedia: .NET Framework

How to synchronize your bookmarks if you are running Firefox on several machines:

http://addiator.blogspot.com/2005/06...arks-file.html

Seems pretty easy to do.

The article also mention FireFox. It’s also a cloud service which I know you are not into but just in case:

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/...-tabs-with-you

I use the CheckPlaces addon to check for duplicates. It will notify you of duplicates, but you have to manually decide which of the two to remove.

The addon is no longer available from the Mozilla Addon site, but you can get it from this site now:
    http://daniel-lange.com/archives/71-...x-add-ons.html

.json backups will REPLACE all the bookmarks, so you'd want to use html instead. Import one of the backup bookmark.html files into the other. Then use CheckPlaces to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon2000 View Post
    The article also mention FireFox. It’s also a cloud service ...
    I meant to say The article also mention FireFox Sync...

Thread Information