[RESOLVED] Disappearing Letters On Keyboard

Thread: [RESOLVED] Disappearing Letters On Keyboard

Resolved [RESOLVED] Disappearing Letters On Keyboard

I have been typing for over 40 years--so I know how to type without looking at my hands--my husband does not. The problem is that because I type so much, sooner or later all the letters/numbers, etc. get worn off the keys. Now this doesn't bother me because as I said, I don't need to look at what I am typing, but every time my husband needs to do something to my computer it drives him crazy because he can not find the keys that he needs. I have tried using magic markers and other markers to write the letters back, but they just get worn off too. My new keyboard happens to be yellow so anything dark to write on them would show up. Can anyone suggest something that won't wear off from the keys? This new keyboard is not even a month old & I noticed that the letters are already wearing off!
    Thanks a lot for any suggestions,
    Sheila

I use sticky letters that have glue on the back.
    They also have a clear plastic covering that prolongs their useful life.

Train: I have to go to town this coming weekend to do some shopping, do you know what department I would find these sticky letters in? I usually shop at Wal-Mart so that is probably where I will go.
    Thanks,
    Sheila

They may have them. Office depot is where I got them the last time, I believe.

A Keytronic Keyboard or other keyboard with molded in letters might be the answer.

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions and where I can go to find what I am looking for.

Train I have to drive about 2 hours away to buy groceries or do any kind of shopping so I try and not have to go to too many places and if I could order what I am looking for rather than have to go to several other stores, I will order them. If I could not have ordered them, I would go to Office Depot as you suggested. So thanks for suggesting it.

Thank you so much for the links SpywareDr. because the links were to just the type of letters I was looking for. The reason I bought this yellow keyboard was because it had large print letters on it and I didn't know if I could find anything to replace these large letters with--and both the links you sent to me offers those type of letters. I will probably order them from Amazon as soon as I apply this post as being resolved--I am a prime member on Amazon and get most of my shipping free and in 2 days. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

jdc2000: I don't know if the types of keyboards you are talking about has large print letters or not, and if SpywareDr.'s suggestions work out, then I don't need to invest a lot more money into solving my problem. But thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks to all,
    Sheila

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy63 View Post

I am a prime member on Amazon and get most of my shipping free and in 2 days.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy63 View Post

Thanks so much for the suggestion!
    You're welcome. Let us know if they make your husband happy.

In case this question ever comes up again, I did a lot of research on Amazon and read all the customer's reviews before deciding on the one I am going to buy--and this had the best reviews and also the material is superior to the other brands:

http://www.amazon.com/Keyboard-Stick...I2HQU4O3MBQ3KM

I put this particular one on my wish list for my husband (has a birthday coming up) because he has a visual problem as bad as I do. They also had this in the yellow with the black letters, which is the one I am ordering for myself since that is what my keyboard looks like.

This is a little of the description of why this material is different than the kind other companies make and why it is much better:

Beware of Cheap Imitations that may look the same, but isn't! Manufacturer does NOT Use Plastic Material, Labels are made with durable Lexan® polycarbonate, 3M® adhesive and are printed sub-surface to provide years of use. Lexan® will NOT Curl, Slip, or Ooze. New Keyboard Stickers/Overlays. Do not Accept a Substitute Product except what is Shown on this Listing of Lexan® Material NOT Plastic. Durable stickers. Stickers are manufactured of durable Lexan®. They won't tear, crack, discolor, or
    Quality Printing. The printing is on the underside of the sticker so the INK NEVER WEARS OFF OR SCRA
    Easy to Apply. The stickers are EASY TO APPLY. The stickers are printed in the same sequence that th
    Quality Adhesive. The Sticker adhesive firmly attaches the sticker in place without damaging the key
    Removable. If desired, Stickers may be removed without causing damage to the original key or the leg
    (I notice that a few words were missing in this description but it is the same as it is on the web site.)

According to other customers the above statement is true!

Hope this helps others when they need replacement keyboard letters.
    Sheila

Interesting but $14.99? And then you have to scrub the keyboard and carefully apply 100+ stickers by hand?

For $1.00 more, how about a whole new keyboard: Microsoft USB Wired Keyboard - $15.99 (including shipping)

And, while you're at it, might as well add $4.00 for a new mouse: Microsoft USB Wired Keyboard and Optical Mouse - $19.99 (including shipping)

I'm just saying ...

SpywareDr: That is a good deal, but the main reason I bought the keyboard that I have now is because of the large printed letters on it and the one on New Egg is not like that. The keyboard I had before this new one was perfectly good (except the letters had worn off) and I had no other problems with it other than no letters left on the keys. I am coming out of my ears with keyboards but none of them have letters left on them. I wanted one that the letters would not wear off and for the letters to be large. I had hoped that with this new keyboard that the letters would not wear off but they do too.(Paid $10 for this keyboard) I also have an eye sight problem so I wanted the large letters. And since my husband has to work on my computer occasionally, I have to have a keyboard that the letters are still on the keys! Those letter decals (or whatever you call them) seemed the perfect solution--better than buying a new keyboard every time the letters wore off! I have a wireless MS optical mouse that I just bought a few months ago. But thanks for the link and if there is someone else who reads these threads see the link it might would be something that they would be very interested in--because it really is a good deal--just for those who don't have a eye sight problem and doesn't have a husband who needs to see the letters on the keys.
    Thanks,
    Sheila

Definitely sounds like you found the right solution then.

Thread Information