ASUS Laptop Reboot Problem

Thread: ASUS Laptop Reboot Problem

Hybrid View

ASUS Laptop Reboot Problem

Hi!

I have an ASUS laptop. It is getting a little older and slower, but I am stuck with what to do based on the issue that popped up today. My computer says, "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key..." I am assuming that I need a cd to fix this problem, but I do not think I have any original cd's from when the laptop was purchased. What should I do?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by amandaflowers0
    ... ASUS laptop... "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key..."
    Verify that boot order in the CMOS/BIOS menu is correct.
    No specifics provided since you provided no specifics but "ASUS laptop"
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by amandaflowers0
    ... ASUS laptop... "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key..."
    Verify that boot order in the CMOS/BIOS menu is correct.
    Check condition of the HDD (Hard Disc Drive) with the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic utility.
    No specifics provided since you provided no specifics but "ASUS laptop"
    Last edited by Shinma; July 30th, 2012 at 04:46 AM.
    Cheers.

Still in need of help :)

I am not really computer saavy. What is the simplfied version of fixing this problem? I am not sure what a CMOS/BIOS Menu. How do I get there and what looks right? I am not sure what other specifics are needed. Can you let me know, so I can try to make it an easier diagnosis? The stickers and labels on it say things like Windows 7, intel Pentium, and ALTEC LANDING, SRS. It also has a 2005 Microsoft copywrite. I hope this helps. Thanks so much!

Depending on model, access to CMOS/BIOS menu, available recovery options... differ.

Take a look at the bottom of the laptop for a sticker stating the model of the ASUS in question.
    Cheers.

The model number of the laptop would definitely help us out with suggestions.

When booting, you may see a message similar to "Press <Del> or F2 to enter Setup". That is the key you would use when you see the message to go into the BIOS setup to make sure the hard drive is set as the first boot device, or to make sure that the BIOS actually sees the hard drive. However, the usual cause of the boot error message you are seeing, assuming that the BIOS settings are correct, is that the hard drive has failed.

If you have a working computer, you could use it to download the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility software and use that to check out the laptop drive. You can get an .iso file to create a bootable CD with most drive makers utilities from:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com

How to create a CD from an ISO file:

http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm

pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/burnisofile.htm

Model and Thanks

The model number is AR5B95

Thank you for your reply. I will let you know what happens.

First, eject and/or unplug any CD, DVD, USB thumb drive, external hard drive, if there is any. Now power up. If it boots up normally into Windows, then the problem is most likely that the boot sequence is wrong. To keep it brief and simple: Basically if the boot sequence is wrong, the computer is trying to boot from a device which has no Operating System (Windows in your case) installed.

Refer to below:

http://www.askdrtech.com/solutions/p...IOS-setup.aspx
    The above web page shows you how to enter BIOS in generally. There are screen shots for startup splash screens for different computers bands. Does the Asus screen look like yours? If so, the key to press to enter BIOS is F2. I usually recommend newbie to repeatedly tap the key in the pace of 2 taps per sec., as soon as you see the splash screen, instead of pressing it just once b/c you only have a window of just a few seconds to press the key to enter the BIOS. It's less easy to miss that window if you tap for a few seconds instead of pressing it just once.

http://blog.itechtalk.com/2009/how-t...uence-in-bios/
    The above web page shows you examples of how to check or change the boot sequence (First Boot Device, Second Boot Device, Third Boot Device, etc.)
    Each BIOS is different, so these are just examples. Just look closely at the entries and pay attention to the instructions / explanations on the side or bottom of the BIOS screen.
    Last edited by falcon2000; July 31st, 2012 at 11:22 PM.

Still not working..

Shinma,

I tried to visit the sites that you mentioned in order to download the ISO file. It really seems like it is just meant to download an ISO file burner. I tried to find the file that I needed to burn. I even went to the ASUS site to locate the diagnostic utility software, but things are not looking too bright for me.

Everytime I thought I downloaded it, burned it to a CD, and transferred it to my laptop, it would continue to say "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press and key_"

As for the BIOS, I still am really unclear on how to know if it is working properly. Are their ISO file CDs I ca purchase at an electronics store that would be cheaper than taking my laptop in for a full repair, if a repair is even possible?

jdc2000 and falcon2000,

Thank you for your advice. I tried F2, but it continues with the same screen. I was a little unclear as to when I should start hitting F2...after the initial message? ...after a download of some kind?

Re-read post #9.
    Biostar TA790GX A2+ 6.0
    AMD Phenom X4 9750 CPU.
    4 Gig DDR2 Memory.
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    500 Watt P.S.
    LG W2241T Widescreen 22" LCD
    ViewSonic VA721 17" LCD
    Envision 17" LCD
    2 LG DVD Drives
    Floppy Disk Drive
    Maxtor 120 Gig Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
    Gateway NV5378-U Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    Acer Aspire V3-731 Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

You need to see if you can get into the BIOS setup before trying anything else. If you can't, then you may have other problems. Do you see a message when booting about entering setup or something similar? You need to press the appropriate key(s) at that time to get into the BIOS setup. Recheck the links in post #9 to verify what needs to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by amandaflowers0 View Post
    I tried F2, but it continues with the same screen. I was a little unclear as to when I should start hitting F2...
    You missed that window of time to enter into BIOS. Just start tapping the F2 key the moment you turn the power on. Tap twice a second. 10 to 12 taps at the most ought to do it.

As to the Ultimate Boot CD, just use this instead, UBCD4WIN. Pretty much the same thing but the other site has a ton of "sponsored" downloads and is difficult to get to the real one.

Everytime I thought I downloaded it, burned it to a CD
    You do know that you can't jut "burn" the ISO to a CD like a regular data file, right? A ISO file is a disc image. You need to "rip" it to a CD with a ISO burning software. Your current CD burning software may already have this function. Look for function like "Burn Disc Image to Disc". Or, just use the free and simple ImgBurn.

But, as others have pointed out, you'd be better off to check the BIOS out first before you proceed to something else.

Thread Information