[RESOLVED] Windows XP default Critical Stop alarm sounded at each Start Up
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Windows XP default Critical Stop alarm sounded at each Start Up

Resolved [RESOLVED] Windows XP default Critical Stop alarm sounded at each Start Up

Why does my Windows XP Critical Stop alarm sound goes off each time when I start Windows at bootup ? The alarm came on soon after the Welcome to Windows XP logo screen comes up on the screen at boot up.

I have checked what programs are started on CClean Tools -Start Up folder and could not see any new process/programs that is not already there in the past when this alram was not "activated".

Is there a way to find out what cuased this and how to repair it ?

Many thanks in advance.
    Last edited by slickcondo; July 13th, 2012 at 03:40 PM.

Try using Windows' "System Restore" to roll Windows back to a previous state when your computer was functioning correctly:

System Restore helps you restore your computer's system files to an earlier point in time. It's a way to undo system changes to your computer without affecting your personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos.

Sometimes, the installation of a program or a driver can cause an unexpected change to your computer or cause Windows to behave unpredictably. Usually, uninstalling the program or driver corrects the problem. If uninstalling doesn't fix the problem, you can try restoring your computer's system to an earlier date when everything worked correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    Try using Windows' "System Restore" to roll Windows back to a previous state when your computer was functioning correctly
    Problem is I can't remember when this problem started as it has been like this for quite a while and I was hoping it would go away.

I have tried to roll back to several restore points that I thought before this started, but no joy

Any other way ?

Do you have a recent backup?

Does it make the same noise when you boot up in Safe mode?

Have a look in event viewer and see if there's a critical event alert that corresponds with all the warnings.

Control panel>admin tools>event viewer.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Do you have a recent backup?

Does it make the same noise when you boot up in Safe mode?
    The last backup I have is about over a month ago and I am trying to avoid using it as it would mean having to spend a lot of time to take individual backup of a lot of things on my system since that backup before using it or I will lose those work.

I tried Safe Mode and the alarm noise is not there.

BTW, as a aside, has the layout of this site changed ? It seems half the screen is showing advertisments if it has and I can't say it is an improvement from the old design. Sorry !
    Last edited by slickcondo; July 14th, 2012 at 06:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fink View Post
    Have a look in event viewer and see if there's a critical event alert that corresponds with all the warnings.

Control panel>admin tools>event viewer.
    There is no Critical even there, but there are some Error alerts and I dont know what those mean or related to. Error alerts appear on the Applications and also on the System folders. How do I know if these Errors (there's more than one) are causing the Critical Alarm as this only sounded once on startup ?
    Last edited by slickcondo; July 14th, 2012 at 06:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slickcondo View Post

I tried Safe Mode and the alarm noise is not there.
    Click Start > Run, type in "msconfig" (not the quotes) and press [Enter]. Click the Startup tab, then the Disable All, Apply, OK buttons, (in that order) and then reboot (in Normal mode).

Did you hear the "alarm noise" on bootup now?

Click Start > Run, type in "msconfig" (not the quotes) and press [Enter]. Click the Startup tab, then the Disable All, Apply, OK buttons, (in that order) and then reboot (in Normal mode).

Did you hear the "alarm noise" on bootup now?
    Looks like I have no choice but to use my last backup because when I tried to Run msconfig as you suggested, it came back with a Cannot be found pop up error message. So something is wrong with the current system

Will get back after doing the last backup and thanks.

Instead of simply:

msconfig

you might try using the complete path instead:

c:\windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\msconfig.exe

If that also fails, try:

c:\windows\system32\dllcache\msconfig.exe

Instead of simply:

msconfig

you might try using the complete path instead:

c:\windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\msconfig.exe

If that also fails, try:

c:\windows\system32\dllcache\msconfig.exe
    I was in the process of backing up my latest work when I got your reply.

I did entered msconfig correctly and didn't work. But the full path worked and I disabled all start up process as you suggested earlier. After rebooting, the alarm is still there.

Cool, we now know that it is NOT something listed in msconfig's Startup tab. (Re-run msconfig and re-enable everything you previously disabled).

Check to make sure you're using the "Windows Default" "Sound scheme". Click Start > Control Panel ...

• If your Control Panel is currently in Category view, click Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices > Sounds and Audio Devices > Sounds tab.

• If your Control Panel is currently in Classic View, double-click Sounds and Audio Devices then the Sounds tab.
    Reboot to test and let us know ...

Cool, we now know that it is NOT something listed in msconfig's Startup tab. (Re-run msconfig and re-enable everything you previously disabled).

Check to make sure you're using the "Windows Default" "Sound scheme". Click Start > Control Panel ...

• If your Control Panel is currently in Category view, click Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices > Sounds and Audio Devices > Sounds tab.

• If your Control Panel is currently in Classic View, double-click Sounds and Audio Devices then the Sounds tab.
    Reboot to test and let us know ...
    My sound scheme is in Windows Default and the Critical Stop alarm is still there on reboot after doing what you suggested.

May be one of the Services that's running in Normal mode then. Comparing that list with those running in Safe mode may help lead you to the culprit.

May be one of the Services that's running in Normal mode then. Comparing that list with those running in Safe mode may help lead you to the culprit.
    Sorry Doc. Which list and from where ? The Sound Scheme list or Start Up or ....?

Thread Information