[RESOLVED] Disappearing Email from Windows Live Mail

Thread: [RESOLVED] Disappearing Email from Windows Live Mail

Resolved [RESOLVED] Disappearing Email from Windows Live Mail

I have Windows 7 and use Windows Live Mail 2011. My husband has Windows 7 & uses Outlook 2003. This morning we changed our ISP from Hughes Net (satellite) to a local fiber optic ISP. My husband called Hughes and told them to stop service because we were getting another ISP. Afterwards, he insisted I delete my email account with Hughes immediately. He would not even let me save some of my emails into folders for the new ISP. By that time we had our fiber optic service up and running and also had our new email accounts set up. At his insistence I deleted the account right them--but when I did, all my email that was originally from Hughes Net also disappeared! My husband had already deleted Hughes' email account from his Outlook email program and did not loose any of his email that was originally from Hughes. I don't understand why I lost mine but he didn't--both our computers were originally set up with Hughes! I am so upset because I had a lot of business email that was downloaded using Hughes & I really need them. I have looked in every folder in my email program and they are just not there--not anywhere--all the old as well as the new disappeared. Does anyone have any idea how I might recover those lost emails? And I can't help but wonder why they disappeared from WD's Live Mail but not Outlook?
    Thanks,
    Sheila

Hubby was probably setup using POP3 and the mail is stored on his pc. You were probably setup as IMAP when the mail stays on the server but basically gives you an image or a shortcut to the mail on the server. Once the server is gone so is the mail.

Hughs might be able to turn your account back on long enough to try and forward or copy the mail...
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Steve: I doubt that my husband would have set up my email differently than his since he is the one who sets up everything on our PCs. That was at least 3 years ago when he set up my email program so I doubt that he would remember the details of what he did, but then, like I said, my husband (who is set in his ways), would have only set it with the same settings that was used to set up his email account. But thanks for the idea. I doubt that Hughes would be willing to send me copy of my email since they and my husband got into a big confrontation over the phone yesterday. Naturally they did not want to loose a good paying customer and I think they were trying to discourage my husband from leaving them. We have had them for over 10 years (no other ISP in our county) and my husband had never once even been late paying them their money. Each month on the 10th they take out money for the bill from his checking account for the next billing cycle that starts on the 20th--10 days after he pays for the coming month. They had just taken the money out when we finally got fiber optic. My husband called them to tell them that we would no longer need them and to please prorate any money he might owe and return the rest. They refuse--stated they would not return the money for the upcoming month and he would have access to their service until some times in August. I told my husband after their conversation (he was very upset) to call the BBB here in GA and complain about their unfair business practice. We didn't have a contract with them so he was not discontinuing the service early. So he emailed the BBB & sent a copy of our statement about when he is charged and when the service starts for the amount he just paid. After that, that was when he demanded that I delete my email account with them immediately. He was afraid if we even had Hughes listed in our email program that it would mess up his claim with the BBB.

So now you can see why I can't call them and ask them for a copy of my emails--we don't want to give them any ammunition to use with the BBB when this complaint is addressed. We paid a lot of money for Hughes when we had them--twice as much as what we will be paying for fiber optic and with fiber optic there is no limitations of what we can do on the Internet, whereas with Hughes, we could not even watch a short video clip or they would cut us off from the Internet for 24 hours--violating the broadband width fair practice act they said.

I hope that anyone who is thinking about signing up with Hughes will read this and know what kind of Internet service and what kind of customer service they can expect if they decide to go this way for their ISP.
    Sheila

That was way more information than anyone needs...but, since your mail is gone - odds are real good that my original thoughts are still true.

If the missing mail is really important to you....and you probably still have an active account - you could probably add the email account info back into your pc and get the mail..

It's your call as to which is more important - the partial refund or the mail..... They probably won't know or care if you add the account info back and get your mail.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

The easiest way to recover from data loss is from a backup.

My apologies Steve, I had not planned on going into such details but I just got carried away since I have been so upset.

My husband tells me that he will let me put Hughes back on our account so I can get my emails (if it is not deleted off the server by now). The only problem is that I see is that last night I went to Hughes' web based email site and used what I thought was my user name and password to try and access my email that way but it kept saying either my PW or UN was wrong. So I guess there is just no hope left. But thanks for trying to help me anyway. I will mark this as resolved since there is nothing else that can be done.

As always, thanks for your help,
    Sheila

Spyware Dr: I just saw your thread after marking this resolved. My question to you is that if I were to go back to a WD's backup from say, a week ago, would my settings for Hughes Net also appear in my email? I know Windows does not back up email files, but what about the settings for your ISP?

OBTW: One thing I also could not understand about the disappearing emails, even the folders that I created for the emails disappeared too. I can understand the emails disappearing, but I would have thought the folders would have still been there, but just empty.

I will wait to hear from you Spyware Dr. before trying to restore a backup.
    Thanks for the suggestion,
    Sheila

Exactly how would depend on your backup. If it was an image of the entire drive, whatever was on the drive when you made the backup should be contained in your backup.

I just have automatic backups with using the default settings for WDs 7, I have no idea if "images" were made. I am afraid I don't have much experience with "restoring" as I have only had maybe one or two experiences at the most in restoring a backup over the last 10 or 12 years. Is this something you have to tell a backup to do--make an image?
    Thanks,
    Sheila

Thread Information