[RESOLVED] Home theater media server

Thread: [RESOLVED] Home theater media server

Resolved [RESOLVED] Home theater media server

I've been using my old P4/2.4G XP system as a media server on my 37" HiDef tv to watch mostly streaming media, sporting events etc via VGA input.

It does work although it really struggles desperately with anything higher than 480i especially viewing full screen (or even half screen). CPU hits 100% useage and pretty much stays pinned while the video is playing. I have tried different browsers with little change one way or the other.

It seems like Flash is the major hog but that is what it is and only a very few sites use MS silverlight which is easier on the CPU.

I've tested it out with my current Core i5/2.6G system and it handles the req's with no problem peaking around 50-70% CPU useage without stuttering video/audio like the old P4.

So I'm considering getting a new mid/lower priced PC to do the job. I know it's impossible to say without having tried it but one system I'm looking at has an

Intel i3 2120 Dual-Core 3.3G LGA1155

Big question is whether the Dual Core i3 can do the job and do it without running at 100% full time.

Or how about an

AMD X2 260 Dual-Core 3.2GHz AM3?

comments?

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Second question is whether HDMI connection uses/needs the same resources as either vga or dvi outputs?
    (I'm guessing it does or close to it)

The old P4's ATI graphics card doesn't have HDMI out, unsurprisingly, so I can't test that out.

VGA/HDMI I just do not /can not see any difference myself. Old eyes I know but wished I had eyeballed a setup before investing any money.

Yeah, on the tests I did before I bought the tv on other peoples/store systems I saw no difference either. That's why I went out of my way to find a tv with VGA in.. most don't any longer. My disappointment is with the P4 that just can't cope.

I was wondering though, from the PC side of things if the necessary conversion from digital to analog signal (to send through the vga port) requires a measurable am't of CPU power. Since HDMI is straight digital out it must be slightly easier on CPU resources... just how much is what I'm unable to find. And whether it would make any real world, significant difference on the strain on the computer/CPU even if it is (just barely) measurable. But that's really just a secondary consideration since my main mission is to find out about the newer lower budget CPU's and how they would perform.

They should , the cpus, handle video without any problem.
    But the I-3 is the much better cpu.
    http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/878...3_i3-2120.html

Thanks for the link.

Interesting that comparing that current i3 processor to my older i5 the i3 beats it by a pretty wide margin. So extrapolating that to the fact that my i5 does the job I'd need it to, then you'd have to assume the new i3 would have no problem.

I too, found some interesting items there.
    The performance tab was a eye opener. In more than one way.

I bought a basic rig with an i3 processor and now have it up and running. Even with the built in graphics on the ASUS MB it runs extremely well and so far has done everything I've asked it to with ease.

With media my P4 couldn't even come close to dealing with and my i5 was running at around 40% to process the i3 just shrugs it's shoulders and does it with ease, barely hitting 8-10% CPU usage. Even with Flash HD on full screen resolution (formula1.com race edits for eg)

I'm amazed actually. I figured it would outperform the older i5 but not by that much of a margin.

Now that is good news indeed. A right pleasant surprise.

Thread Information