[RESOLVED] Screen with blue and white lines

Thread: [RESOLVED] Screen with blue and white lines

Resolved [RESOLVED] Screen with blue and white lines

Hello everyone,
    My parents computer has malfunctioned and now the screen freezes with blue and white lines. I can't do anything but force shutdown the desktop. I don't know which forum I should post this in, if it is the incorrect one; please move the thread in the appropriate forum. This is most likely an hardware issue but I am looking for some experienced opinion. This desktop was running windows xp but I installed windows 7 on it but the problem persists. What are my options? I am attaching the picture of the screen with this post.
    Attached Images Attached Images

sarmad--What are you doing when this happens?
    Any messages in Event Viewer?
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Did you try booting to safe mode?

How did you install Win7 if you couldn't see the screen?

I recently installed windows 7 and while configuring the first time installation, this screen appeared. At least this is what I have experienced, this screen just appears randomly from what my parents say while performing no tasks on windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    Did you try booting to safe mode?

How did you install Win7 if you couldn't see the screen?
    The computer turns on normally but after a while it boots, this screen appears. I let the windows installation happen overnight and it installed but I can't get past setting up the name for the desktop. I can try booting from safe mode but what should I do once it does? and what if the screen reappears?

So you're saying that the system can boot to Windows, but the screen has problems after it's been on for a while?

If the problem happens in both XP and 7, then it's probably a hardware issue.

It might be a temp issue with the video card. Did you try cleaning out the video card heatsink/fan?

Did you try a different monitor?

System specs would help. What are the make/model of the video card and monitor?

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    So you're saying that the system can boot to Windows, but the screen has problems after it's been on for a while?

If the problem happens in both XP and 7, then it's probably a hardware issue.

It might be a temp issue with the video card. Did you try cleaning out the video card heatsink/fan?

Did you try a different monitor?

System specs would help. What are the make/model of the video card and monitor?
    I unfortunately can't get past the first time installation, the same screen keeps reappearing. Safe mode won't do the first time installation. The monitor is fine because I have used it with two other different desktops and it performs flawlessly. I have the specs and they are the following:
    HP pavilion a6109n PC
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-core processor
    GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
    2gb RAM
    320 gb hdd.
    It is untouched and has all factory parts. Let me know if you require any other information. For additional info:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...odTypeId=12454

So you didn't complete the Win7 installation? And this problem was happening in XP?
    If you can't even boot into Windows, then it sounds like a hardware issue.

Did you look for bad caps on the motherboard?
    http://www.badcaps.net/

Since the MB has integrated video, it could be a ram issue. Run Memtest86+. You can either download it by itself or get UBCD.

http://www.memtest.org/
    http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/

If you don't know how to burn .iso to CD:
    http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/faq.html

Other than that, it sounds like a bad motherboard.

Seems the #1 ram slot can go bad. Googled adn found lots of folks had problems with that mobo. HP and eMachines both.

Memory test passed, capacitators seem to be fine as well because the criteria does not match the defective ones (pics on the website). I guess the mobo is most likely the one defective, is it worth repairing?

Not really, a new mob with a dual or quad cpu would run circles around that old thing.

not worth replacing the motherboard, but you could try installing a PCIe video card. Of course, this is assuming it's just the integrated video card that's bad.

Thank you very much guys, I guess it is time to scrap this pc. You may close this thread.

As the original poster, in Thread tools, above your first post, you can mark the thread resolved.

Thread Information