[RESOLVED] Can not Delete email messages

Thread: [RESOLVED] Can not Delete email messages

Hybrid View

Resolved [RESOLVED] Can not Delete email messages

I always clean up my Windows Live Mail by deleting old messages from my Inbox. I have about a dozen in my laptop inbox that refuse to be deleted either singlely or collectively. I get a pop-up notice that 'An Unknown Error Has Occured'. I can't delete them or move them and always get the same pop-up error message. Shutting down and restarting my laptop or Windows Live Mail does not do any good. I use Windows 7. This problem occurs only on my laptop. My desk top PC (also Windows 7) allows me to delete the same messages. My laptop is a HP Pavilion g6. How can I delete these messages?
    Thanks,
    notnoid

Since it sounds like you have a backup of everything on your Desktop, one way to do it would be to remove and reinstall Windows Live Mail.

Thanks Doc;
    But where do I get the Windows Live Mail program to reinstall?
    notnoid

notnoid--If the problematic emails are stored in a desktop folder try deleting the desktop folder .

Use Unlocker to delete
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4660.html
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Jim:
    The email messages are in the inbox and not in a desktop folder. If I look at the inbox all the messages I have received today (5/6/2102) are there as well as 7 emails from 4/22/2012. If I try to delete any of these I get the 'An Unknown Error Has Occured' pop-up. I can instantly delete any emails received since those 7 messages. I also cannot move the 7 messages to any folder without getting the error message.
    Thanks,
    notnoid

Have you tried in Safe Mode?

notnoid--Sorry. I did not read your original question thoroughly.
    You can still try Unlocker.
    P.S. I presume there are other messages you want to keep in that folder so you cannot delete the folder. But you could try moving the messages you want to keep into another folder (within the Store Folder) and deleting the Inbox folder containing the unwanted messages. On reboot a new Inbox will be created. You then can move the wanted messages into that new Inbox or delete the empty new Inbox and rename the folder containing the wanted messages to Inbox.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

You could also try the suggestions from this link:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-12546_10...-windows-mail/

DUH!!! A friend of mine who is also a certified Microft Dr. suggested that I just click and drag the message(s) to the Deleted Folder. It worked. My friend could not explain why the messages could not be deleted directly having never encountered this particular problem himself. Anyway I appreciate all the suggestions I receieved in answer to this thread. I tried as best I could to follow the your suggestions but didn't have any luck.
    Thanks,
    notnoid

And thank you for posting your work around.

Thread Information