Just come from Intensive Care
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just come from Intensive Care

Unhappy Just come from Intensive Care

Hi All,
    I have just been directed back to the main forums from Intensive care. I am sending this on my other laptop as my Desktop was the one that had the infection.
    My original problem was my CPU was loading up with iexplore.exe many times.
    In all the proceedings over the last two days they found and got rid of malware but it took a lot of small program downloads and logs being sent. In that time I lost my internet connection but got it back when they told me to look run services.msc and turn applicable things on.

So we continued and then again lost internet connection. This time they couldn't get it back and sent me out here.Then I have to go back and finish off with them. However they said the infected computer is clean now.

In the proceedings I had to uninstall my anti-virus CA (or Total defence as it is now called). I am not sure whether now it is good enough. I have the option of going to Norton, which I have on this laptop..so would like some opinions.

Anyway back to my connection problem. I am running Win XP pro and using an NetComm ADSL2+ Modem Router. The Desktop (one with the problem) is connected to it with an Ethernet cable. This laptop is connected wirelessly and is working fine. All appropriate lights are showing on the modem.

I have a LAN symbol in the tasktray saying limited or no connectivity. When I try to repair it it says;
    Windows couldn't finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Renewing your IP address
    For assistance contact the persn who manages your network.

I tried to go to my service provider help desk. They weren't much help. They asked me to run cmd.exe. Then type something and press enter (I've just forgotten what they said to type!!) Anyway an IP address came up 169.254.157.128
    All they said it is a "bad" address and said to try a new ethrernet cable first and then maybe install the drivers. However then said we don't get involved in PC problems!! I have not got another cable and find it hard to believe that would coincidentally fail. I have the CD installation disk for the modem but have yet to try it.
    However getting back to services.msc......there are a number of entries in there which are still disabled and look important. Want to know which ones should be set to AUTO or whatever?? So maybe I need to go to another forum first??
    Thanks in advance.

It sounds like DHCP is not working. What happens if you enter a static IP address?

For most routers, it would be something like 192.168.0.10
    You would also need to enter some DNS Server addresses. You could use those for your ISP or GOogles - 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

I found the DNS server addresses:
    Primary 203.134.64.66
    Secondary 203.134.65.66

Not quite sure how to or what to enter manually.
    If I go to TCP/IP Properties it has Obtain IP Address automatically AND Obtain DNS Server address automatically selected.
    If I elect to enter them I have to enter an IP address, subnet mask and Default gateway. What do I use?

Quote Originally Posted by op9 View Post

... 169.254.157.128
    All they said it is a "bad" address and said to try a new ethrernet cable first
    ... find it hard to believe that would coincidentally fail.
    Problem is, if the cable is bad, *-no-* amount of fiddling around with software will fix it.

If the hardware isn't working right, the software never will.

That's true, but considering this all started 2 days ago with solving a virus problem I find it hard to believe a cable would go just because, as well. Anyway "stranger things happen at sea", I will get one on Monday if no one has any other suggestions.

I would however like someone to tell me which of the services displayed when services.msc is run should be set to AUTO or whatever.

The following list is from a Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (with all updates) system. These 57 items are the ones with a "Startup Type" of "Automatic" and "Automatic (Delayed Start)":
    1. Adobe Acrobat Update Service
    2. Andrea RT Filters Service
    3. Background Intelligent Transfer Service
    4. Base Filtering Engine
    5. Broadcom Power monitoring service
    6. COM+ Event System
    7. Cryptographic Services
    8. DCOM Server Process Launcher
    9. Desktop Window Manager Session Manager
    10. DeviceMonitorService
    11. DHCP Client
    12. Diagnostic Policy Service
    13. Distributed Link Tracking Client
    14. DNS Client
    15. Encrypting File System (EFS)
    16. Function Discovery Resource Publication
    17. Group Policy Client
    18. IP Helper
    19. Machine Debug Manager
    20. Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319_X64
    21. Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319_X86
    22. Microsoft Antimalware Service
    23. MotoHelper Service
    24. Multimedia Class Scheduler
    25. Network Location Awareness
    26. Network Store Interface Service
    27. NVIDIA Display Driver Service
    28. Offline Files
    29. Plug and Play
    30. Power
    31. PowerPanel Personal Edition Service
    32. Print Spooler
    33. Program Compatibility Assistant Service
    34. Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    35. RPC Endpoint Mapper
    36. Security Accounts Manager
    37. Security Center
    38. Server
    39. Shell Hardware Detection
    40. Software Protection
    41. Superfetch
    42. System Event Notification Service
    43. Task Scheduler
    44. TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
    45. Themes
    46. User Profile Service
    47. Windows Audio
    48. Windows Audio Endpoint Builder
    49. Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework
    50. Windows Event Log
    51. Windows Firewall
    52. Windows Font Cache Service
    53. Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
    54. Windows Management Instrumentation
    55. Windows Search
    56. Windows Update
    57. Workstation

And here's an list, (sorted alphabetically by "Name"), of all 166 items on this same system:
    Code:
        Name                                                           Startup Type                 Status   Log On As
      1 ActiveX Installer (AxInstSV)                                   Manual                                Local System
      2 Adaptive Brightness                                            Manual                                Local Service
      3 Adobe Acrobat Update Service                                   Automatic                    Started  Local System
      4 Adobe Flash Player Update Service                              Manual                                Local System
      5 Andrea RT Filters Service                                      Automatic                    Started  Local System
      6 Application Experience                                         Manual                       Started  Local System
      7 Application Identity                                           Manual                                Local Service
      8 Application Information                                        Manual                       Started  Local System
      9 Application Layer Gateway Service                              Manual                                Local Service
     10 Application Management                                         Manual                                Local System
     11 ASP.NET State Service                                          Manual                                Network Service
     12 Background Intelligent Transfer Service                        Automatic (Delayed Start)    Started  Local System
     13 Base Filtering Engine                                          Automatic                    Started  Local Service
     14 BitLocker Drive Encryption Service                             Manual                                Local System
     15 Block Level Backup Engine Service                              Manual                                Local System
     16 Bluetooth Support Service                                      Manual                                Local Service
     17 BranchCache                                                    Manual                                Network Service
     18 Broadcom Power monitoring service                              Automatic                    Started  Local System
     19 Certificate Propagation                                        Manual                                Local System
     20 CNG Key Isolation                                              Manual                                Local System
     21 COM+ Event System                                              Automatic                    Started  Local Service
     22 COM+ System Application                                        Manual                                Local System
     23 Computer Browser                                               Manual                                Local System
     24 Credential Manager                                             Manual                                Local System
     25 Cryptographic Services                                         Automatic                    Started  Network Service
     26 DCOM Server Process Launcher                                   Automatic                    Started  Local System
     27 Desktop Window Manager Session Manager                         Automatic                    Started  Local System
     28 DeviceMonitorService                                           Automatic                    Started  Local System
     29 DHCP Client                                                    Automatic                    Started  Local Service
     30 Diagnostic Policy Service                                      Automatic                    Started  Local Service
     31 Diagnostic Service Host                                        Manual                       Started  Local Service
     32 Diagnostic System Host                                         Manual                       Started  Local System
     33 Disk Defragmenter                                              Manual                                Local System
     34 Distributed Link Tracking Client                               Automatic                    Started  Local System
     35 Distributed Transaction Coordinator                            Manual                                Network Service
     36 DNS Client                                                     Automatic                    Started  Network Service
     37 Encrypting File System (EFS)                                   Automatic                    Started  Local System
     38 Extensible Authentication Protocol                             Manual                                Local System
     39 Fax                                                            Manual                                Network Service
     40 Function Discovery Provider Host                               Manual                                Local Service
     41 Function Discovery Resource Publication                        Automatic                    Started  Local Service
     42 Group Policy Client                                            Automatic                    Started  Local System
     43 Health Key and Certificate Management                          Manual                                Local System
     44 HomeGroup Listener                                             Manual                                Local System
     45 HomeGroup Provider                                             Manual                                Local Service
     46 Human Interface Device Access                                  Manual                       Started  Local System
     47 IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules                            Manual                                Local System
     48 Interactive Services Detection                                 Manual                                Local System
     49 Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)                              Disabled                              Local System
     50 IP Helper                                                      Automatic                    Started  Local System
     51 IPsec Policy Agent                                             Manual                                Network Service
     52 KtmRm for Distributed Transaction Coordinator                  Manual                                Network Service
     53 Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper                           Manual                                Local Service
     54 Machine Debug Manager                                          Automatic                    Started  Local System
     55 Media Center Extender Service                                  Disabled                              Local Service
     56 Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v2.0.50727_X64                   Disabled                              Local System
     57 Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v2.0.50727_X86                   Disabled                              Local System
     58 Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319_X64                   Automatic (Delayed Start)             Local System
     59 Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319_X86                   Automatic (Delayed Start)             Local System
     60 Microsoft Antimalware Service                                  Automatic                    Started  Local System
     61 Microsoft iSCSI Initiator Service                              Manual                                Local System
     62 Microsoft Network Inspection                                   Manual                                Local Service
     63 Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider                        Manual                                Local System
     64 MotoHelper Service                                             Automatic                    Started  Local System
     65 Mozilla Maintenance Service                                    Manual                                Local System
     66 Multimedia Class Scheduler                                     Automatic                             Local System
     67 Net.Msmq Listener Adapter                                      Disabled                              Network Service
     68 Net.Pipe Listener Adapter                                      Disabled                              Local Service
     69 Net.Tcp Listener Adapter                                       Disabled                              Local Service
     70 Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service                                   Disabled                              Local Service
     71 Netlogon                                                       Manual                                Local System
     72 Network Access Protection Agent                                Manual                                Network Service
     73 Network Connections                                            Manual                       Started  Local System
     74 Network List Service                                           Manual                       Started  Local Service
     75 Network Location Awareness                                     Automatic                    Started  Network Service
     76 Network Store Interface Service                                Automatic                    Started  Local Service
     77 NVIDIA Display Driver Service                                  Automatic                    Started  Local System
     78 Office Source Engine                                           Manual                                Local System
     79 Offline Files                                                  Automatic                    Started  Local System
     80 Parental Controls                                              Manual                                Local Service
     81 Peer Name Resolution Protocol                                  Manual                                Local Service
     82 Peer Networking Grouping                                       Manual                                Local Service
     83 Peer Networking Identity Manager                               Manual                                Local Service
     84 Performance Counter DLL Host                                   Manual                                Local Service
     85 Performance Logs & Alerts                                      Manual                                Local Service
     86 Plug and Play                                                  Automatic                    Started  Local System
     87 PnP-X IP Bus Enumerator                                        Manual                                Local System
     88 PNRP Machine Name Publication Service                          Manual                                Local Service
     89 Portable Device Enumerator Service                             Manual                       Started  Local System
     90 Power                                                          Automatic                    Started  Local System
     91 PowerPanel Personal Edition Service                            Automatic                    Started  Local System
     92 Print Spooler                                                  Automatic                    Started  Local System
     93 Problem Reports and Solutions Control Panel Support            Manual                                Local System
     94 Program Compatibility Assistant Service                        Automatic                    Started  Local System
     95 Protected Storage                                              Manual                       Started  Local System
     96 Quality Windows Audio Video Experience                         Manual                                Local Service
     97 Remote Access Auto Connection Manager                          Manual                                Local System
     98 Remote Access Connection Manager                               Manual                                Local System
     99 Remote Desktop Configuration                                   Manual                                Local System
    100 Remote Desktop Services                                        Manual                                Network Service
    101 Remote Desktop Services UserMode Port Redirector               Manual                                Local System
    102 Remote Procedure Call (RPC)                                    Automatic                    Started  Network Service
    103 Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator                            Manual                                Network Service
    104 Remote Registry                                                Manual                                Local Service
    105 Routing and Remote Access                                      Disabled                              Local System
    106 RPC Endpoint Mapper                                            Automatic                    Started  Network Service
    107 Secondary Logon                                                Manual                                Local System
    108 Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol Service                       Manual                                Local Service
    109 Security Accounts Manager                                      Automatic                    Started  Local System
    110 Security Center                                                Automatic (Delayed Start)    Started  Local Service
    111 Server                                                         Automatic                    Started  Local System
    112 Shell Hardware Detection                                       Automatic                    Started  Local System
    113 Smart Card                                                     Manual                                Local Service
    114 Smart Card Removal Policy                                      Manual                                Local System
    115 SNMP Trap                                                      Manual                                Local Service
    116 Software Protection                                            Automatic (Delayed Start)             Network Service
    117 SPP Notification Service                                       Manual                                Local Service
    118 SSDP Discovery                                                 Manual                       Started  Local Service
    119 Storage Service                                                Manual                                Local System
    120 Superfetch                                                     Automatic                    Started  Local System
    121 System Event Notification Service                              Automatic                    Started  Local System
    122 Tablet PC Input Service                                        Manual                                Local System
    123 Task Scheduler                                                 Automatic                    Started  Local System
    124 TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper                                          Automatic                    Started  Local Service
    125 Telephony                                                      Manual                                Network Service
    126 Themes                                                         Automatic                    Started  Local System
    127 Thread Ordering Server                                         Manual                                Local Service
    128 TPM Base Services                                              Manual                                Local Service
    129 UPnP Device Host                                               Manual                                Local Service
    130 User Profile Service                                           Automatic                    Started  Local System
    131 Virtual Disk                                                   Manual                                Local System
    132 Volume Shadow Copy                                             Manual                                Local System
    133 WebClient                                                      Manual                                Local Service
    134 Windows Activation Technologies Service                        Manual                                Local System
    135 Windows Audio                                                  Automatic                    Started  Local Service
    136 Windows Audio Endpoint Builder                                 Automatic                    Started  Local System
    137 Windows Backup                                                 Manual                                Local System
    138 Windows Biometric Service                                      Manual                                Local System
    139 Windows CardSpace                                              Manual                                Local System
    140 Windows Color System                                           Manual                                Local Service
    141 Windows Connect Now - Config Registrar                         Manual                                Local Service
    142 Windows Defender                                               Manual                                Local System
    143 Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework         Automatic                    Started  Local System
    144 Windows Error Reporting Service                                Manual                                Local System
    145 Windows Event Collector                                        Manual                                Network Service
    146 Windows Event Log                                              Automatic                    Started  Local Service
    147 Windows Firewall                                               Automatic                    Started  Local Service
    148 Windows Font Cache Service                                     Automatic (Delayed Start)    Started  Local Service
    149 Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)                                Automatic                    Started  Local Service
    150 Windows Installer                                              Manual                                Local System
    151 Windows Management Instrumentation                             Automatic                    Started  Local System
    152 Windows Media Center Receiver Service                          Manual                                Network Service
    153 Windows Media Center Scheduler Service                         Manual                                Network Service
    154 Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service                   Manual                       Started  Network Service
    155 Windows Modules Installer                                      Manual                                Local System
    156 Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 3.0.0.0             Manual                                Local Service
    157 Windows Remote Management (WS-Management)                      Manual                                Network Service
    158 Windows Search                                                 Automatic (Delayed Start)    Started  Local System
    159 Windows Time                                                   Manual                                Local Service
    160 Windows Update                                                 Automatic (Delayed Start)    Started  Local System
    161 WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service                       Manual                                Local Service
    162 Wired AutoConfig                                               Manual                                Local System
    163 WLAN AutoConfig                                                Manual                                Local System
    164 WMI Performance Adapter                                        Manual                                Local System
    165 Workstation                                                    Automatic                    Started  Network Service
    166 WWAN AutoConfig                                                Manual                                Local Service

For IP address, try 192.168.0.10
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.160.0.1

If those don't work, try:

I tried those settings. Immediately the "limited connectivity" exclaimation mark disappeared but still IExplorer would not connect. I ran the Windows diagnostic tool. It said Problem with Winsock provider catalogue. Reset to default configuration ..which I did and the computer shutdown and restarted but still not connecting. This happened when trying both sets of TCP/IP entries.

Did that. It changed the TCP/IP settings back to Auto and the Limited connectivity exclaimation was back.
    Just trying the manual settings again.....which again got rid of the limited connectivity but still not connecting.

This is a bit complicated for me......not sure what you mean.

If the problem still exists when running another operating system, then it's probably a hardware problem.

Have you tried it in "Safe mode with networking"?

Thanks up to now. Have to continue with this later. Have to go out.

Thread Information