HELP -toshiba laptop looping boot..blue screen...error 0x490 after attempting repair

Thread: HELP -toshiba laptop looping boot..blue screen...error 0x490 after attempting repair

Angry HELP -toshiba laptop looping boot..blue screen...error 0x490 after attempting repair

I have my sisters Toshiba laptop. She says it keeps trying to boot, flashes blue screen, restsarts repeatedly. Can't get past this. Windows 7 home edition. Last time she tried to start it, system asked to try repair. Prompted for restore back to, she hit cancel, system ran through repair, failed to be able to repair. On detail log, all processes have error code 0. But on System files integrity check and repair, the result was Failed, error code 0x490. Anybody have suggestion? I can remove hdd, use as external, put in new hdd, but don't have Windows license to reinstall since it was original install on computer when purchased. Don't want to lose data. HELP

Reinstall time.

The Windows Product|License Key|ID should be on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop. (Note that I have seen it under the battery on a few Lenovo's).

If you don't mind installing a new HDD, do that and do an install of Windows on that, if you can find that licence key. Then you can hook up the old drive to that, or another, computer and recover the data from it.

If the only way of reinstalling Windows is from a recovery partition on that drive, then you'll need to take the drive out and hook it up to another PC first in order to rescue the data.
    Nick.

I have a toshiba laptop and there is a repair option on it not the restore.
    common sense isn't all that common

Using F8, the first Item on my toshiba is "Repair Your Computer"

So, that will pull from the EISA partition and probably wipe the drive and restore it to factory. Probably lose everything that ison the drive now.

You can boot to a live cd and backup your files in a thumb drive
    common sense isn't all that common

Thread Information