PC won't start up

Thread: PC won't start up

PC won't start up

My PC now will no longer start up. When I push the start button the red light comes on for just a split second then goes out and then nothing. Repeated attempts doesn't even get the red light to flash unless I unplug it for a while then it will do the same thing? Power Supply? Any suggestion?

I don't know much about this machine. It is an Aspire I got from my son. I can see the power supply in it is an Enermax model EG565P-VE. I think it is a 535 watt PS. It appears to be discontinued now. Does anyone know of a replacement? What in particular do I need to match up to find a replacement? For example I see this one at New Egg. Is it compatible?

LOGISYS Computer PS550ABK 550Watts ATX12V Power Supply with SATA and 20/24 pin connectors
    Last edited by winch; April 30th, 2012 at 07:51 AM.

Try testing the power supply. If you have, or can borrow, a multimeter, here's how to test one:

Testing PSU Voltages

ATX Power Supplies

Trigger Power Supply for testing

In depth look at the power supply

Or alternatively you can buy a proper PSU tester, they don't cost much:

PSU Tester

ATX12V PSU Tester
    Nick.

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic...onitor-or-usb/
    Digerati - Retired Staff - Posts: 3,993 - Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:01 AM
    I do not recommend using a multimeter to test power supplies. To do it properly, that is, under a realistic load, the voltages on all the pins must be measured while the PSU is attached to the motherboard and the computer powered on. This requires poking (with some considerable force) two hard and sharp, highly conductive meter probes into the main power connector, deep in the heart of the computer. One tiny slip can destroy the motherboard, and everything plugged into it. It is not worth the risk considering most multimeters, like plug-in testers, do not measure, or reveal any unwanted and potentially disruptive AC components to the DC voltages.

Note the ATX Form Factor standard does not "require" specific color coding for power supply connector wiring. It has recommendations but manufacturers often do not follow them. Sadly, many testing guides or tutorials will refer to wire color only and that can lead to improper testing.

I don't think that recommending people to go and buy an oscilloscope (and then get trained on how to use one) is really practical

No question, using a multimeter isn't a perfect means of testing a PSU, but at least it is within the capabilities of most people. And a person would have to be pretty cack-handed to manage to damage a mobo whilst back-probing the ATX connector, IMO.

As for the colour coding, all I can say is that I have yet to come across an ATX PSU that did not use the "standard" colours.
    Nick.

The old DELL power supply, that caused the different color problem, should by now have all burned up.

Thread Information