Can see but cannot access XP machines on network

Thread: Can see but cannot access XP machines on network

Can see but cannot access XP machines on network

I have just added a new Win 7 64 Pro PC to my home network. It can see the XP Pro machines on my network and the shared folders on them, but when I try to access any of these shared folders I get the message -
    "<resource> is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
    Not enough server storage is available to process this command".

This has me completely stumped. Permissions should not be a problem - set to "Everyone" and Full control, and Windows firewall is disabled. I can access another Win 7 (64 HP) on the same network without any problem.

Can anyone out there help?
    Today is the tomorrow that you worried about yesterday

This thread might help:
    http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...=251060&page=3

Did you set both Share and NTFS permissions? Did you enable Simple File Sharing on XP? Are you using the same usernames/passwords on both systems?

Midknyte

The answer to all your questions is Yes. And I have been through all the steps in your linked thread. No dice

Not enough server storage is available to process this command
    What antivirus are you using? Try looking at this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;177078

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...d-b483b08f63aa

Will check these links out tomorrow - it's bed time here right now! But reference is to Norton AV - and I use NOD32: so not sure that this has any relevance to my situation.

Steps to get XP to be viewable from Windows 7 and Vista.

All on the XP machine:

1-Windows Explorer-> Tools menu –> Folder Options –> View –> (Scroll list down til you see) Use simple file sharing. Uncheck it and close the dialogue.

2-In Windows…Right Click the Computer Icon (maybe on desktop or will be on Start Menu) and select Manage.

3-Open Computer Management –> System Tools –> Shared Folders –> Shares and open the folder to list the shares.

4-Find the share in question, highlight it and right click and select Properties –> Shared Permissions.

5-In the Share Permission it should have the group Everyone listed. If it is not there add it and check all three permissions: Full Control, Change and Read.
    Keyboard error or no keyboard present

Press f1 to continue

Midknyte - this link really does not seem to be relevant; but I tried the Registry edit suggested and it has made no difference.

ceh - these are the settings I am working with already.

Well, it was the same error message that you got. That is not a typical message.

What settings did you use? If you added the IRPStack registry entry, did you try gradually increasing the setting?

If you created the IRPStackSize value using the procedure described in step 4, the default value is 15. It is recommended that you increase the value by 3
    This link says to start at 30:
    http://brickblog.net/2009/03/04/not-...rint-this-post

Did you try looking for other fixes for the "Not enough storage" error?

I am not convinced that the problem lies with the XP machines. I have two other Win 7 (64 HP) machines on the network as well, and they can read all the XP shared folders OK. Only the new Win 7 64 Pro has this problem in not being able to access shared folders. Is there something particular about the Professional version of Windows 7?

I have Win XP and Win 7 Pro computers, and they can access network files OK. The Pro version of Win 7 should not be an issue.

You could try creating making sure that there are user accounts with the same name and password on each computer. Make sure the accounts are added to the permissions for the appropriate folders.

Midknyte - I owe you an apology: increasing the IRPStackSize has done the trick . I bumped the number up from 15 to 50 as suggested here. I will try reducing it a bit to see what the critical number is.

Thanks for your help.

Glad that it worked.

Thread Information