opening a port for a webcam

Thread: opening a port for a webcam

opening a port for a webcam

Hi, I bought a wireless IP camera and I'm trying to set it up as a webcam that can be accessed remotely.
    I gave it a static ip and port number and it works fine from within my network. I gather from here that I need to open this port to enable remote access.
    I went to portforward.com and followed those instructions for setting my pc to static ip and to open the port on the router (thomson tg585v7). I'm running XPSP2.
    All the settings appear to be right but it ain't working. According to this site the port is still closed.
    I downloaded a tool called simple port forwarding and used to open the port on my router's external ip, but still it doesn't work.

Any further suggestions?

Did you check to see of your ISP is blocking access?

http://www.networkwebcams.com/ip-cam...remote-access/
    There are ISPs out there that block remote access on certain ports. ... If you have a lot of trouble accessing it’s a good idea to give the ISP a call to confirm with them what you are doing is possible. Sometimes a change of port number to something other than 80 can sort things out.

Yes, my isp blocks 80 and 210 but I'm using 9500

Did you ask your ISP if it's okay to use internet-accessible devices such as webcam(s) on your account?

Its a fair point, I will do that. I talked to them about ports a while ago but it was in the context of other host pop3.

Check to make sure that any firewall software you have installed is not blocking the port.

The firewall has a rule allowing port 9500 udp/tcp in both directions. The router firewall allows traffic past ports which have been specfically forwarded, and the windows xp firewall is off. I don't know anything else to check.

I spoke to my isp who were helpful in getting the router portforwarding sorted, and they confirm that nothing is specifically blocked by them.

I'm following this guide and as far as I can see I've done everything there. There are several comments in there where people say it worked for them, so I guess something must be missing. The address of the camera should be 94.192.228.25:9500 I believe.
    Last edited by saturdaygig; April 26th, 2012 at 05:20 PM.

Thread Information