Wake On LAN for Wireless Devices

Thread: Wake On LAN for Wireless Devices

Wake On LAN for Wireless Devices

Hypothetically, if you are away from home and the power goes out for a brief period and the power comes back on, all of your wireless devices are now off. Is there a way to wake a wireless device using wake on LAN, for a device such as a wireless webcam? I'm looking for an app that can accomplish this task if possible. I don't want to have to purchase a UPS for each wireless device if I don't have to. Any suggestions would be helpful and I thank you in advance.

I would expect such a device to log back in automatically. If ever I turn off my UPS, everything comes back up by itself after I turn the power back on. I don't have to do anything at all to get the network up and running, including WiFi.
    Nick.

I just want to make sure before I invest in wireless webcams that may not have the ability to reconnect automagically when the power comes back on. That would be a real annoyance if you're away from home and couldn't get them to reconnect in any way whatsoever.

I read somewhere that wake on lan wouldn't work with wireless devices, but I'm not completely clear why. Something about a specially formed UDP packet...

But there isn't any "waking" involved here. Wake on LAN is a means of waking a PC that has been put into sleep mode. Other equipment, such as a webcam, or WiFi router/access point does not have a sleep mode. They will turn off if the power is disconnected, and then boot themselves up as soon as the power comes back.
    Last edited by SuperSparks; April 27th, 2012 at 03:39 PM.
    Nick.

Thanks SuperSparks! I appreciate the insight. That does help.

Thread Information