So what's the difference?

Thread: So what's the difference?

Threaded View

So what's the difference?

I have the opportunity to acquire a gaming laptop that will have the new Ivy Bridge Intel chip. Now, I know that the chip's graphics processing power will be considerably better than the Sandy Bridge, but how does that play into the dedicated graphics card? Is this chip going to say "Oh...I can do that MUCH better!" or "Let's share this job, OK?" and negate or otherwise automatically stifle the graphics processing power of the card? I've been looking all over and can't seem to find any definite answer for this one. Anybody have an inside scoop on this? I know that Intel has been biting at the bit for some time to get into the graphics rendering market, even to the point of shutting out GPU makers. Wouldn't surpise me if they put a command on this chip for it to render the graphics first, then hand over what's left to the dedicated card. If this is the case, it ain't good.
    Last edited by bistro; April 21st, 2012 at 03:20 PM.
    Desktop: Intel i7 960 CPU @ 4.0GHz, EVGA Classified 4-Way SLI mobo, 12GB Corsair Dominator-GT 2000 DDR3 RAM, Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB Solid State Drive, Two WD 2TB SATA drives, 2x EVGA GTX 570 Superclocked graphics cards in SLI, Coolermaster HAF X full tower case, OCZ ZX 1250w PSU, Corsair H100 CPU Cooler
    Laptop: MSI GT60-004US, 2x Seagate Momentus XT 750GB SSD Hybrid drives in RAID 0, 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM, GeForce 670M 3GB graphics card, Networks 'Killer' N-1103 WLAN card

Thread Information