C: disk properties box show 47gb used but only 25gb used

Thread: C: disk properties box show 47gb used but only 25gb used

Hybrid View

C: disk properties box show 47gb used but only 25gb used

Hello, I'm not sure but I think I may know why the following is happening. But I would appreciate any help and advice.

when I right click my C: drive the properties box shows that it has 47gb of used space. When I add up all the apps and programmes it comes to 25gb only which is about right.

Iv'e got an idea that this is something to do with the size of the allocated clusters on the drive or something like that.

If there is any way of correcting this it would be much appreciated. I have de-fragged several times with the XP de-frag and the AVG de-frag but it does not help.

XP Pro, Asus Pk5E,

BB

Did you check the system restore, pagefile, and hibernation files as well?

One of these programs would show you which files/folders are taking the most space.
    http://windirstat.info/
    http://www.disktective.com/
    http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

I use Acronis and as far as I'm aware system restore dosent work with that. I also checked all hidden files but nothing there.

Disktective shows C: with 36gb of which 25gb in documents and settings that I can account for but the properties box shows C: with 47gb used so that I have 11gb to account for.

BB

What version of Acronis? Did you check if System Restore is enabled or not?

Did you verify the pagefile size?

Did you check if hibernation is enabled?

BTW, TreeSizeFree gives a little better listing of the files than disktective.

System Volume Information folder = System Restore
    pagefile.sys = pagefile
    hiberfil.sys = hibernation file

C: disk properties box

Hi, and many thanks for your input which has solved the problem. The page file was 2gb but the system restore was 15gb. I reduced it to nil and the free space on the C: drive was increased by that amount.

I then increased it back up to 11gb, at least I now know where the space was being used.

The Acronis is "Home 2010". When I have tried to use "System Restore" in the past, I get a message which basically states that due to Acronis System Restore is not possible......If I have got this wrong, your assistance would be appreciated.

Meantime. many thanks for your help and support.

regards

BB......Dorset, UK

Acronis should not interfere with System Restore. Post the exact error message you are getting.

Yup. Acronis should be able to work with System Restore. I never saw it disable System Restore, so I thought it might be a newer version.

Thread Information